Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 7700k Stutter?

7700k Stutter? 5 months 1 week ago #14893

• Mithan
  • Lurker
I am thinking about upgrading my 2500k to a 7700k. It will be paired to my older 980 Ti, which I believe is choked right now, so I should end up seeing a nice boost from both the CPU and GPU, though I am still unsure if it is "worth it".

I play at 1440p on an Acer XB270HU Gsynch Monitor and will have 2x8GB GSkill CL15 memory.

The motherboard I am looking at is the MSI Gamer Pro Carbon.

Anyways, so I was doing my research and such and came across somebody trying to tell me that the 7700k stutters a lot in games.

I think this is the first time I have heard about this from a 7700k...

Any ideas? Something to worry about ?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

7700k Stutter? 5 months 1 week ago #14899

• JD_And_Chocolatebear
  • GN Staff
  • Thank you received: 100
" to my older 980 Ti"

I loled at this a bit. As somebody who still has a 7970 (which is the equivalent to a GTX 770), seeing other people refer to GPUs like the 980ti as "older" is a bit funny :P

I haven't ever heard that about the 7700k, especially not in reviews. It is certainly possible that person has a 7700k and has stuttering problems, but the stuttering problems could be due to a multitude of other issues (bad OS installation, old motherboard BIOS, bad SLI/Crossfire bugs, game bugs, etc.) so I wouldn't worry about stutter.

Anyways though, I would say the upgrade from a 2500k to a 7700k is a decent choice. The 2500k is a really solid CPU, but is getting a bit old and just on IPC performance it loses. And nowadays Intel CPUs have other advantages too such as newer hardware video encoders and lower idle power consumption. Plus your motherboard will also have newer ports and features (like native USB 3.0 and M.2 for SSDs).

I would suggest the upgrade, but also keep in mind that you can't reuse your old DDR3 RAM and will have to get new DDR4 RAM to work with the 7700k.

7700k Stutter? 5 months 1 week ago #14901

• Microsista
  • Lurker
7700k can stutter, because it only has 4 cores, so if a game utilized all cores extensively the cpu might have to dedicate some time to other tasks like operating system running in the background, but it wont stutter more than your 2500k
it can be eliminated if you wont stress the cpu 100%, or have more cores like on the ryzen 7 1700, personally i'd preferably wait for the skylake-x 6-core because it wont have single-thread performance issues like the amd chip, and will have more cores at an affordable price (first mainstream 6-core)
but you have to be sure that the cpu is even an issue, at 1440p the gpu stress should be high enough, that a decently overclocked 2500k with fast memory shouldnt bottleneck the 980 ti that much, i'd download something like an afterburner, and check which component is stressed the most, the cpu, or the gpu, and then decide whichever to upgrade
Last Edit: 5 months 1 week ago by Microsista.

7700k Stutter? 5 months 1 week ago #14907

• i7Baby
  • Thank you received: 67
An i7 with 4c/8t should outperform an i5 (with 4c/4t) - www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2182-fall...rformance-difference
R7-1700 @3900/1.375V, H110iGT, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14 @3466/14 1.38V, Samsung 250gb EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud

7700k Stutter? 5 months 1 week ago #14924

• theclaydog
  • Lurker
Mithan wrote:
I am thinking about upgrading my 2500k to a 7700k. It will be paired to my older 980 Ti, which I believe is choked right now, so I should end up seeing a nice boost from both the CPU and GPU, though I am still unsure if it is "worth it".

I play at 1440p on an Acer XB270HU Gsynch Monitor and will have 2x8GB GSkill CL15 memory.

The motherboard I am looking at is the MSI Gamer Pro Carbon.

Anyways, so I was doing my research and such and came across somebody trying to tell me that the 7700k stutters a lot in games.

I think this is the first time I have heard about this from a 7700k...

Any ideas? Something to worry about ?

1) What games do you play, and what games does this "expert" claim stutter? One of the nice things about techreport's reviews is that they include a frametime graph. This should give you an idea of whether there are any stuttering problems.

This one is for Watch Dogs 2 and includes the i7-7700K and various Ryzen CPU's:

techreport.com/review/31366/amd-ryzen-7-...1700-cpus-reviewed/8

2) Your existing memory will not be reusable in a new system. Both current Intel and AMD boards use DDR4.

7700k Stutter? 5 months 1 week ago #14938

• badsykes
  • Lurker
Steve from Hardware unboxed when previewed Ryzen said that 7700k stutters versus Ryzen 8 core in BF and if i remember correctly also GTA V.I will post the direct youtube link if you can't find it..I can't access youtube from where i type right now.
Also this guy confirmed too from his experience in switching between the two cpu's.
www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5xpnla/gam...y_nonexistent_since/

7700k Stutter? 5 months 1 week ago #14939

• theclaydog
  • Lurker
badsykes wrote:
Steve from Hardware unboxed when previewed Ryzen said that 7700k stutters versus Ryzen 8 core in BF and if i remember correctly also GTA V.I will post the direct youtube link if you can't find it..I can't access youtube from where i type right now.
Also this guy confirmed too from his experience in switching between the two cpu's.

That reddit poster went from an i7-4790k, not an i7-7700k.

[edit] Dug up the hardware unboxed video where they test various games - no mention of stuttering in bf1 or gta v

bf1
youtu.be/PoEcgfbhwTs?t=533

gta v
youtu.be/PoEcgfbhwTs?t=632
Last Edit: 5 months 1 week ago by theclaydog.

7700k Stutter? 5 months 1 week ago #14940

• badsykes
  • Lurker
theclaydog wrote:
badsykes wrote:

That reddit poster went from an i7-4790k, not an i7-7700k.

[edit] Dug up the hardware unboxed video where they test various games - no mention of stuttering in bf1 or gta v

bf1
youtu.be/PoEcgfbhwTs?t=533

gta v
youtu.be/PoEcgfbhwTs?t=632

Unboxed video minute 15:30 and above before the gta v test begin.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW1pzcdZxKc

Regarding the thread you are right..After reading many comments to that thread i forgot that it was about 4790k and put 7700k...Anyway even if i misunderstood this seems the i7 from different generations has some micro stuttering for many people.
The question is why this happens with Ryzen...
Is this because it has 8 cores OR
Is because of the architecture and the 4 core and 6 core may have the same smoothness...
Last Edit: 5 months 1 week ago by badsykes.

7700k Stutter? 5 months 1 week ago #14943

• i7Baby
  • Thank you received: 67
We need a bit m ore time with Ryzen to see what happens. Only initial reviews are out so far.
R7-1700 @3900/1.375V, H110iGT, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14 @3466/14 1.38V, Samsung 250gb EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud

7700k Stutter? 5 months 1 week ago #14949

• eightbitjuan
  • Lurker
  • GPU Chef
  • Thank you received: 3
I haven't had much time to fully test my 7700K, but I have not had any issues so far. The games I've tested so far are The Division and Titanfall 2 both at 4K. Robo Recall and ROM: Extraction also ran beautifully on my Rift. This all was while clocked at 5GHz. The only time I ran into a problem was when clocked it at 5.1GHz which I could not get stable with my limited testing.
  • Page:
Moderators: 2ndPlayer, i7Baby
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds