Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What CPU to get on a Ultra Wide display.

What CPU to get on a Ultra Wide display. 3 weeks 39 minutes ago #15407

• Profanos
  • Lurker
Hello everyone!
I'm completing my build and I just need to decided which CPU to get to my PURE,hardcore gamer build. So as I saw some review of the Ryzen 7 or 5 line-up, most of the youtubers(including GN;JayzTwoCents) said that for a pure gamer perspective,you should get if you can an I7 7700k,because that's probably the best CPU for gamers in 2017,since 98% of games don't use more than 8 threads anyway.And where I live the R7 1700 and I7 7700k are identically priced.And there is no deny that the 7700k win in almost all cases against the Ryzen CPU's. But as I'm gaming on a 3440X1440 display, the bottleneck hits the GPU,and almost no difference is showed in the benchmarks. I know that the difference still there, just hidden behind the GPU bottleneck, but what should I buy for this pure gamer 3440x1440 build. If I was going to a 1920X1080 144hz I would definitely buy the I7, but with such bottleneck effect taking place, would I be better with Ryzen and it's 8 cores ? What about the future if I for an example,buy the next GTX 1180 Ti in the Volta architecture, which is something Tom's Hardware when comparing 16 games mentioned, how about the future?
Sorry guys for such huge text, but I'm really 50%/50% on this decision, and I really need someones advise. Thanks for reading and hope you have a great day!
PS: Here is the Link to my PCpartpicker PC: pcpartpicker.com/list/Wtq2M8
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What CPU to get on a Ultra Wide display. 2 weeks 6 days ago #15408

• jmaster299
  • Lurker
  • Thank you received: 3
The higher the resolution, the less the CPU matters in terms of bottleneck. More pixels on the screen, or trying to push more frames per second, will always come down to the GPU first. If you are not doing content creation, or mixed workload like gaming and streaming at the same time, there is literally zero benefit to the Ryzen series. But a whole lot to lose.

Yes, a few games have received some optimization patches, and some games will be better optimized for Ryzen going forward. But every game on the market, past, present and future, is and will be optimized for Intel. There is not a game on the market, even at 4K, that is held back by a 7700K. That 1800X you selected is a complete waste of money if all you are going to be doing is gaming. That's true now and for the next several years.

If you're going to be doing more than gaming, as I mentioned before, then you can consider Ryzen. It's increased core count only matters when there is something going on besides gaming. Voice comms, Netflix and Chrome tabs don't count. Trying to live stream, especially higher resolutions, bit rates and/or frame rates, or the few select programs that use CPU rendering instead of the much faster GPU rendering. That's when you should go with a Ryzen build.

But even then, never with an 1800X. Go with an 1800 or 1700X at the very most. A 1700 would be even better. I'd also strongly reconsider your choice of motherboard. What feature/option is offered on that board, that you just have to have, to justify it's insane $240 price point? I would recommend the Gigabyte Z270 Gaming K5 for Intel or Z370 Gaming K5 for Ryzen. Both can be found for around $170.

There is also no reason to go with a platinum rated PSU, other than bragging rights or you have money you want to set on fire. Save yourself $50 and get an 850W Supernova G3 from EVGA. I'd also personally recommend against the S340 Elite. Just check out the review from Gamer's Nexus and see the horrible system temps the case provides. Especially the GPU. The way the implemented the TG side panel cut off half the air intake from the front. A million and one other case options out there, Enthoo Evolv ATX TG is a good alternative.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Profanos

What CPU to get on a Ultra Wide display. 2 weeks 6 days ago #15409

• i7Baby
  • Thank you received: 52
R7-1700, H110GTi, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14, Samsung 250gb EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud

What CPU to get on a Ultra Wide display. 2 weeks 6 days ago #15411

• jmaster299
  • Lurker
i7Baby wrote:
Based on what factors? The 2 games Ryzen has received optimization for? Ryzen has zero benefit when it comes to gaming over Intel, at any resolution. Even 4K, which pushes far more pixels than 1440p or ultra wide resolutions. Unless there are factors to consider other than gaming, Intel outperforms Ryzen.

A direct quote from Steve from his own testing "For gaming, it’s a hard pass. We absolutely do not recommend the 1800X for gaming-focused users or builds, given i5-level performance at two times the price.". When it came to testing the 1700, which is recommended for certain uses cases where people will be doing things other than just gaming, the 1700 still loses to the 7700k in 1440p benchmarks.
www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2827-amd-r...petes-with-its-1800x

The 1700 has seen a recent price drop, down to $299, but the $30 savings over the 7700k don't make up for the performance gap. Nor does it make up for the fact that it's far easier to overclock both the CPU and RAM with the 7700k than it is with any Ryzen chip to achieve the same performance numbers as in the benchmark.

What CPU to get on a Ultra Wide display. 2 weeks 6 days ago #15413

• i7Baby
R7-1700, H110GTi, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14, Samsung 250gb EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud

What CPU to get on a Ultra Wide display. 2 weeks 6 days ago #15416

• jmaster299
  • Lurker
One review/benchmark does not offset the dozens of others, including the Gamer's Nexus benchmarks, that has the 7700K ahead of every single Ryzen chip on the market. Especially when that review is not consistent across it's titles, changing the quality settings of each game being benchmarked to get the results they want.

Assassin's Creed at Very High, but Batman at Normal. Battlefield and Crysis 3 on Medium, then Deusex on High Quality, then back to Medium for Hitman. That right that completely invalidates their testing methodology. Either benchmark all the games with as near equal settings as possible, or the testes are invalid. The only reason to constantly change quality settings like that is to produce the results they want.

Also, and this is a big one, there was no overclock on the Intel CPU of any kind. Just the stock out of the box 4.2GHz. Which no one buying a 7700K is going to be running. They also ran all of these benchmarks on a GTX 970, introducing a GPU bottleneck. The entire review/benchmark you link is bogus, invalid, and completely out of line with any legitimate benchmarks out there. Again including the ones from right here at Gamer's Nexus.
Last Edit: 2 weeks 6 days ago by jmaster299.

What CPU to get on a Ultra Wide display. 2 weeks 5 days ago #15418

• i7Baby
To each their own - I disagree. Ryzen has got better with time and will continue to do so.

A lot of people will run their 7700k without overclock - it has a healthy boost anyway.

What CPU to get on a Ultra Wide display. 2 weeks 5 days ago #15426

• Birdhunter
  • Lurker
  • Gamer, Modder, Engineer... the usual stuff.
  • Thank you received: 7
Alright, here's my take on this:

Games (and other Programms) will always be optimized for "the majority" - the average gamer/user - to have the biggest customer base to shoot for. That's Intel at the moment and it's going to be Intel for a long time, since market shares tend to shift slowly. Yes, certain games/apps will be optimized for certain platforms, but they will always run on "non-exotic" modes, hardware, etc. because the stuff that we use wouldn't be financially viable otherwise.

Also: For games, the IPC will always be more important then core-count as long as the CPU isn't overloaded. High load and load-spikes can introduce poor performance and lag-spikes / framrate dips. However, if you want 144+ FPS, then you need hardware that can process all the Information within that short timespan, because having your CPU at 20% load doesn't help if it takes ages to complete a task, however small it might be.

That's why Intel (i7-7700k) is still the performance-king as far as gaming goes, because it's high IPC and high clock speeds pushes the average framerate up and therefore increases perceived "smoothness" of games while not having lots of FPS-drops thanks to it's hyperthreaded 4 cores and recent architecture that apps/games are optimised for.

As for the question at hand (back on topic):
If you want the best now, you buy the best now. Chassing all the "could", "might" and "will be" will lead you to run in circles and always second guessing your decision, ultimatively leaving you unsatisfied with whatever you choose in the end.

If you want the best Gaming CPU, then go for an i7-7700k with a decent cooler and a little overclocking.

If you don't want to overclock, go with the i7-7700. Stick with a decent cooler, though, as it will help with it's boost and makes for a generally quieter and better looking build.

If you want something for Content-Creation, Streaming, Rendering or Editing that is a decent gaming chip aswell, then yes, Ryzen is a good option, especially the 1700. (No point in going for the X series so far, because the non-X chips can be overclocked to match Xs performance anyways). The better "bang for the buck" does come with a caveat: Ryzen is new and in its first generation, meaning it can be months (or even a year or two) before it reaches it's full potential and Compatibility.

By the time Software, Games, RAM and what not are on the level of what everybody wants them to be, you'll have long gotten your moneys worth out of your investment and enjoyed hours of Entertainment.
i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz | 2x8GB DDR3-2400 Avexir Blitz 1.1 | Z87 Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 | Asus ROG Poseidon GTX 1080 Ti | Kingston HyperX 3K | Phanteks Enthoo Primo Tempered Glass | Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1200W | Thermaltake Riing RGB | XSPC RayStorm | Alphacool NexXxoS 420 XT45 | Alphacool Eisbecher + Laing DDC 3.25 + Alphacool Aurora RGB | Hardline PETG Tubing | This is ridiculous | EKWB CryoFuel AcidGreen | Green&Black Sleeved Cables | Acer Predator Z35 | Logitech G302 + G633 + G510s | etc..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Profanos

What CPU to get on a Ultra Wide display. 2 weeks 5 days ago #15430

• jmaster299
  • Lurker
i7Baby wrote:
To each their own - I disagree. Ryzen has got better with time and will continue to do so.

A lot of people will run their 7700k without overclock - it has a healthy boost anyway.

It's not about disagreeing though. The facts are 100% against you on this. It's not a matter of opinion, it's hard numbers that directly contradict your recommendation. The review you linked is bogus, which is sad for what should be a trusted publication. They did not use a valid testing methodology to arrive at the numbers you are trying to use to claim Ryzen outperforms the 7700K.

Anyone who does not manually overclock their unlocked CPU should not be buying an unlocked K processor to begin with. That small minority of owners who waste money on a CPU they aren't going to uses the added function they pay for are not a valid example to use to justify the bogus numbers in the one review you are trying to use to backup your position.

When games are benchmarked with as equal quality settings as possible, with a current high end GPU that eliminates GPU bottlenecks, ESPECIALLY at higher resolutions like 1440p, and doesn't run their benchmarks on stock clocked CPU speeds only, the 7700k pulls ahead. That is an indisputable fact. No amount of optimization will change that on a large scale. At most we will see a select handful of games perform equal or better on Ryzen by a small margin. But the vast majority of games already do and will continue to perform better on Intel for the foreseeable future.

What CPU to get on a Ultra Wide display. 2 weeks 4 days ago #15445

• Profanos
  • Lurker
jmaster299 wrote:
The higher the resolution, the less the CPU matters in terms of bottleneck. More pixels on the screen, or trying to push more frames per second, will always come down to the GPU first. If you are not doing content creation, or mixed workload like gaming and streaming at the same time, there is literally zero benefit to the Ryzen series. But a whole lot to lose.

Yes, a few games have received some optimization patches, and some games will be better optimized for Ryzen going forward. But every game on the market, past, present and future, is and will be optimized for Intel. There is not a game on the market, even at 4K, that is held back by a 7700K. That 1800X you selected is a complete waste of money if all you are going to be doing is gaming. That's true now and for the next several years.

If you're going to be doing more than gaming, as I mentioned before, then you can consider Ryzen. It's increased core count only matters when there is something going on besides gaming. Voice comms, Netflix and Chrome tabs don't count. Trying to live stream, especially higher resolutions, bit rates and/or frame rates, or the few select programs that use CPU rendering instead of the much faster GPU rendering. That's when you should go with a Ryzen build.

But even then, never with an 1800X. Go with an 1800 or 1700X at the very most. A 1700 would be even better. I'd also strongly reconsider your choice of motherboard. What feature/option is offered on that board, that you just have to have, to justify it's insane $240 price point? I would recommend the Gigabyte Z270 Gaming K5 for Intel or Z370 Gaming K5 for Ryzen. Both can be found for around $170.

There is also no reason to go with a platinum rated PSU, other than bragging rights or you have money you want to set on fire. Save yourself $50 and get an 850W Supernova G3 from EVGA. I'd also personally recommend against the S340 Elite. Just check out the review from Gamer's Nexus and see the horrible system temps the case provides. Especially the GPU. The way the implemented the TG side panel cut off half the air intake from the front. A million and one other case options out there, Enthoo Evolv ATX TG is a good alternative.

Thank you for the answer and tips you gave to me at the end. First, I agree with you, I cannot see any advantage of having the R7 chip series for a pure gaming build,I think I will be just fine with a i7 7700k. I came to ask the opinion on this forum,simply because of the way GN review their stuff, in a much more mature way, gathering facts in a scientific method,trying to eliminate any kind of error. I think all this Intel hate,which I understand, since they are doing a lot of mistakes,has only made me more unsecured of pulling the trigger on this CPU. I intend to keep it for 3 years, I will be fine with it for such period of time i guarantee
Secondly, I wanna thank you again for the tips. But the problem is, I live in Brazil and here the Evolv TG sadly doesn't sell here, I really wished to have that case, but I cannot afford to bring it all the way from US(More than 600US$ for the case!), so I decided to stay with the S340 Elite. And the PSU ,I bought the AX860i because there was a 25% promo going on, and I decided to snatch that one.
  • Page:
Moderators: 2ndPlayer, i7Baby
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds