Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Sub $200 Motherboards with multiple RGB headers

Sub $200 Motherboards with multiple RGB headers 1 week 3 days ago #15498

• jmaster299
  • Lurker
  • Thank you received: 3
I'm in the final stages of a build, with the one thing I haven't decided on yet is a CPU and motherboard. The two options I am considering are either a 7700K or, if it releases in September or October like it's rumored to, one of the new Coffee Lake chips. One of the issues impacting my decision is finding an affordable motherboard with more than a single RGB header. The only options I can find are things like Gaming 9 from Gigabyte, but that costs a ridiculous $500+. There are others, but there are all well over $200 for no good reason.

Now, it does appear that a lot of the X299 boards are sporting 2 RGB headers, but I won't be going with X299 as it's an added price premium that offers zero value for my personal use case. I don't do any content creation and would only ever use a 7740K on the platform, meaning I get none of the benefits of the X299 platform. All of the X299 motherboards that have those 2 or more RGB headers are sure to be over $200 as well.

I had originally been planning on sticking with the Gigabyte Gaming series because I was going to go with the Corsair Vengence RGB RAM. Gigabyte is the only platform, so far, that the Vengeance RGB RAM can sync with directly without having to use Corsair Link. But to open up my choices of possible motherboards, and saving about $25 in the process, I bought the non RGB RAM. There will be plenty of other lights in the system that it shouldn't be missed.

So, does anyone know of any Z270 motherboards in the $200 or less price range that have at least 2 RGB headers? I need the 2 headers because my case is going to have 6 of the new Cooler Master RGB fans. CM sells a 3 fan RGB splitter that allows 3 of their fans to connect directly to one RGB header, and their RGB fans can work directly with the RGB software of most motherboard manufacturers. No need to use Cooler Master's specific software. And as anyone knows, the few programs you need to run for that sort of stuff, the better.

I'd much rather go this route, finding a good motherboard with 2 headers, then dealing with a separate control box. I can hope/wish/pray that the Z370 Coffee Lake boards will be refreshed and offer more than 1 RGB header, but if I can find one that's on the market now, and watch it and snag it while it's on sale and pair it with a 7700K, that's fine too.

I'll be upgrading from a 2600K, so any of these chips will be an upgrade for me. On paper the rumored 6 core i5 Coffee Lake chip sounds amazing, it's like a perfect sweet spot chip for gaming. But I know there will be 4th of July and Labor Day sales coming up that I could take advantage of on some of the existing hardware if I can find the right motherboard.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Sub $200 Motherboards with multiple RGB headers 1 week 2 days ago #15501

• i7Baby
  • Thank you received: 52
Asus - www.tomshardware.com/news/asus-z270-moth...ineup-rgb,33323.html

"Asus’ entire Z270 motherboard lineup includes Aura Sync RGB lighting, which can be controlled with Asus Aura Sync software. Asus also includes headers on each board to extend the Aura lighting to a LED strip. Asus Z270 ATX motherboards include two headers, except for the Z270-A, which has only one."
R7-1700, H110GTi, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14, Samsung 250gb EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud

Sub $200 Motherboards with multiple RGB headers 1 week 2 days ago #15502

• jmaster299
  • Lurker
  • Thank you received: 3
Alright, lets try this again. Submitted a reply earlier that never seems to have posted.

Thanks for the heads up, it seems there are just 2 boards that qualify in terms of the two headers and retailing for sub $200. The Z270F and Z270G, but I really don't like either board. Their just as expensive as the Gaming 5, but lack the attention to detail that Gigabyte puts on their Gaming boards. You have to go up to the Maximus series to see that same attention to detail, and all those boards are $220 and up.

Features between the Gaming 5 and the Z270F are basically the same, yet Gigabyte gives you that attention to detail like the additional lower cover along the left side of the board, and a lot of extra RGBs, all for the same price. So it comes down to the nicer looking board vs the board that has an extra RGB header. Gigabyte's RGB headers are all RGBW too, something the ASUS board doesn't have.

At this point I think I just need to be patient, not let the money burn a hole in my pocket, and just wait for Coffe Lake and the Z370 boards. The fact that all of the X299 Gaming series boards from Gigabyte have 2 RGB headers on them gives me hope that the Z370 boards will as well. Even lowest option, the X299 Gaming 3, has 2 RGBW headers.
Moderators: 2ndPlayer, i7Baby
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds