Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Help Optimize Build for Computational Purposes

Help Optimize Build for Computational Purposes 1 week 3 days ago #15598

• Cocoamix
  • Lurker
Working on a New PC build for computational purposes and a bit of low end gaming with a budget of $1600-$1700 CAN. This is my current parts list.

Any suggestions to perhaps save money and/or improve the build are appreciated. I do realize I'll need a graphics card yet, but I don't plan on offloading computing to it (not with this budget anyways), so the processor will be fine for my needs and I could just use some dinky card. I plan on doing lots of mathematical and neural net computing using this build.[/color]

BUILD CAN BE FOUND HERE

I also happen to have a large stand fan, so that can help with cooling with this open case I've chosen... perhaps.

Another option would be to downgrade to a Ryzen 5 and use the saved money + whatever is left in the budget for a nice graphics card (GTX 1060 perhaps).

While that would allow for faster computing of math stuff for the programming I do and fractal computations, I run a few neural nets within VMware, which has a weird flaw of not being able to allow VMs to access the graphics card (from what I've read). With more CPU cores, I can allocate those to VMs instead of using a graphics CARD, which could make up for the lack of a card, which is why I aimed for the Ryzen 7 in the first place (more, faster cores = better VM performance).

So right now, I'm confused. Please help.[/color]
Last Edit: 1 week 3 days ago by Cocoamix. Reason: colors
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Help Optimize Build for Computational Purposes 1 week 2 days ago #15601

• i7Baby
  • Thank you received: 56
"Working on a New PC build for computational purposes" - such as? And why? (school, hobby, business) What benchmarks correlate to a good CPU for this?

How much ram is needed/preferred?

Would a NVME drive be of help?
R7-1700, H110GTi, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14, Samsung 250gb EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud

Help Optimize Build for Computational Purposes 1 week 2 days ago #15602

• Cocoamix
  • Lurker
I do explain in the post what I'll be doing with it, computing math (crunching numbers, running many many thousands of calculations) and running neural nets within VMs. Mostly for fun. I ned a CPU with many cores and high clock speed to compute with. From what I heard, the Ryzen 7 series was pretty good for this, plus they're cheaper than anything Intel a.t.m.

The current build is at 16GB, but more is usually better, though I am running some of these computing things currently on my laptop that uses 8GB.

No to the NVME. I need compting power, not so much read/write speeds

Help Optimize Build for Computational Purposes 1 week 2 days ago #15605

• i7Baby
For what software?
R7-1700, H110GTi, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14, Samsung 250gb EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud

Help Optimize Build for Computational Purposes 1 week 2 days ago #15608

• Cocoamix
  • Lurker
VMware, various EXE's I build in Visual Studio for computing, Kalles Fraktaler 2 are the main ones. I dont see what software has to do with the build. I'll be using many many other programs yet. I just need something with computing power
Last Edit: 1 week 2 days ago by Cocoamix. Reason: extending

Help Optimize Build for Computational Purposes 1 week 2 days ago #15609

• i7Baby
Kalles Fraktaler 2 doesn't give system requirements. But this is what you should look for with various software packages. They will quite often give cpu, gpu, ram and OS as minimums and as recommended. That's why I was looking for what software you wanted to use.
I used to play with mandelbrot sets on a pentium.
Last Edit: 1 week 1 day ago by i7Baby.

Help Optimize Build for Computational Purposes 1 week 2 days ago #15610

• Cocoamix
  • Lurker
I want to train neural nets, compute fractals or run several billion/trillion math calcs in several hours, not days (which is how long it takes on my current laptop using an i5-3337U @ 1.8GHz). Plus I plan on doing multiple computations simultaneously, so more power the better.

I am aware of minimums, but what I'm trying to do if tweak this current build to be the best it can be for my budget.

Help Optimize Build for Computational Purposes 1 week 1 day ago #15616

• i7Baby
Maybe CPU Compute benchmarks will help eg www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/1616

Help Optimize Build for Computational Purposes 1 week 1 day ago #15623

• Birdhunter
  • Lurker
  • Gamer, Modder, Engineer... the usual stuff.
  • Thank you received: 11
CPU:
A 1700 can be overclocked to 1700X (and even 1800) levels. If you do it manually, it might take a bit time to find something "absolutely" stable, would be worth it. That is, if your software doesn't hammer the cpu like prime95 (with avx instructions and such), because those temperatures and voltages are not good for prolonged use. A "stock" 1800(X) would be handy then (but not really neccessary, because of the low performance gain over 1700x).

CPU Cooler:
Since you're looking for long running high loads, I would suggest something slightly beefier then the Hyper 212. OC3D did a good roundup recently. Also: Check Compatibility with AM4 boards, because its mounting has different spacing, so am3 or intel 15xx mounts don't fit.
Some Asus Motherboards have am3 compatability, so you could use an am3 cooler.

Mainboard:
If you want to overclock, a board with better VRMs would be nice. More lanes and better vrm design and components can also handle high loads a bit better and at lower temperatures - but it's just "nice to have" and not necessary per se.

RAM:
Although compatability and performance has improved, RAM on Ryzen is still a little iffy. I wouldn't expect those sticks to run at their advertised 3000 because of that. (I also never heard of Team Dark memory. Apparently it's a special branded version from Team Group.).
This ram is great for overclocking - but as mentioned, high frequencies are difficult on am right now (probably better with updates in a couple weeks) and you could save around 20.- there if you go with lower clocks and "average" ram.

Case:
The core p3 looks great (imho), but it's going to be a pain to clean because of the glass and the obvious lack of dustfilters. If you're ok with the cleaning, then it's not a problem - otherwise I would recommend closed case (maybe with window) that has some filters and is easier to clean (on the outside). There are also plenty of cheaper cases out there: If you want to safe some money, this is a good place to start with.

Power Supply:
I don't see one. Is that intentional?

And because you are comming from a Notebook, what about
- Keyboard
- Mouse
- Monitor
- Mousepad
- Maybe Headset ?

Will they be part of the same Budget? Or do you already have them?
i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz | 2x8GB DDR3-2400 Avexir Blitz 1.1 | Z87 Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 | Asus ROG Poseidon GTX 1080 Ti | Kingston HyperX 3K | Phanteks Enthoo Primo Tempered Glass | Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1200W | Thermaltake Riing RGB | XSPC RayStorm | Alphacool NexXxoS 420 XT45 | Alphacool Eisbecher + Laing DDC 3.25 + Alphacool Aurora RGB | Hardline PETG Tubing | This is ridiculous | EKWB CryoFuel AcidGreen | Green&Black Sleeved Cables | Acer Predator Z35 | Logitech G302 + G633 + G510s | etc..
Last Edit: 1 week 1 day ago by Birdhunter.

Help Optimize Build for Computational Purposes 1 week 1 day ago #15627

• Cocoamix
  • Lurker
Ah shoot, out of everything I had I forgot the PSU I had selected in a different list. I went with a SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold model.

I don't really plan on overclocking due to my lack of experience doing so and I don't want to wreck anything (if that's possible to do so in the process), so the 1700X is suitable for my needs.

I have all the peripherals needed, and if I need more, I have plenty at my disposal relatively sheap
Moderators: 2ndPlayer, i7Baby
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds