Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How to rate a watercooling loop?

How to rate a watercooling loop? 1 week 1 day ago #15879

• reniat
  • Lurker
So I recently finished my first custom loop, and am pretty happy with performance:
1080ti at 2063mhz stays below 50C during stress testing
7700k at 5.0ghz at 1.315v stays below 75C during stress testing
noise is around 44-44.5 dB, but I'm not exactly sure where to place my sound meter for that so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

however in the interest of knowing how to judge whether this is getting the most out of my loop hardware, how should I go about "grading" it? Given the loop has a 420mm and 360mm rad, how should I determine whether or not i'm getting the most out of my loop potential?

Currently it seems my peak water temp is about 42C at sustained max load with everything OCed, which is about 19C above ambient. Is deltas above ambient the way to go about it? Or should I ignore water temp and just evaluate based on component temps?

To be clear I am happy with my component performance, but I am also all about getting the most out of my equipment purely for the sake of doing so, so I'd like to know the way to approach evaluating a loop. For example, I think i can get a decent water temp drop by heavily modding the case top, but that would raise noise and would require me to do a permanent mod on a case I really like (and also is expensive enough that I REALLY don't want to ruin it). Is it worth trying the mod to reduce temps in my case (pun intended)?

Pics for those interested: imgur.com/a/ev65B (build isn't 100% done yet, still have some cosmetic things to do and I just got the replacement PSU shroud to replace the badly modded one)

EDIT: Oh! i almost forgot, given those temps do you think I have enough temp ceiling to add another 1080ti in the same loop without changing anything else (aside from maybe a second pump for pressure)?
Last Edit: 1 week 1 day ago by reniat.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How to rate a watercooling loop? 1 week 1 day ago #15880

• i7Baby
  • Thank you received: 67
I'm not exactly sure where to place my sound meter for that so ¯\_(ツ)_/ - 20 ins/500mm away

how should I determine whether or not i'm getting the most out of my loop potential? - for given tasks, what performance are you getting?
eg Cinebench CPU, GPU or other CPU and GPU testing software.

Then what temps and noise are you getting. I think having a 360 and a 420 radiator would be overkill. I'd try eg 2 x 240mm and see what performance, noise and temps you get.
R7-1700 @3900/1.375V, H110iGT, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14 @3466/14 1.38V, Samsung 250gb EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud

How to rate a watercooling loop? 1 week 1 day ago #15881

• reniat
  • Lurker
what performance are you getting?

During gaming my gpu stays at about 45-47C, and my cpu stays at around 60-65C. Both components are as overclocked as they will go with flashing a custom bios for the gpu, or going to crazy (1.4v+) levels in the case of the cpu.

for noise, after moving the reader to 20" away i was getting about 42.2 dB under load.

How to rate a watercooling loop? 1 week 1 day ago #15882

• i7Baby
  • Thank you received: 67
I haven't really performance tested my PC.

Have you performance tested your PC? With what?(eg game/settings/resolution/fps/dB/temps)

Have you tried different configurations? eg one loop, two loops, one radiator, two different radiators?
R7-1700 @3900/1.375V, H110iGT, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14 @3466/14 1.38V, Samsung 250gb EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud

How to rate a watercooling loop? 1 week 1 day ago #15883

• Birdhunter
  • Lurker
  • Gamer, Modder, Engineer... the usual stuff.
  • Thank you received: 15
Meassuring/comparing noise can be a tricky one, because it depends not only on the distance but also on the placement of the meter. Most scientific tests are done at 1 meter distance, but it can widly differ when it comes to PC reviews. Other times, it's meassured where the user is expected to be (with loud machines for example).

The sides of a PC also tend to be quieter (because the 'loud' fans are usually at the front and top). Check the individual reviews and their test setup if you want to compare results.

Temperatures are usually either adjusted for 20°C room temp or given as delta (= X above room temperature) to eliminate that variable, since it can be much different for every user.

I personally set everything up, sit in the chair in front of the monitor and then lower the fan speeds to the point where I no longer perceive them as intrusive (usually 1000rpm and lower, especially with headphones on).

With a 420 and a 360, you should have enough headroom for another 1080ti (OC'd), but keep in mind that your CPU remp will increase since it seems to be in the same loop. For maximum efficiency, a dual loop with 360 for cpu and 420 for gpu would be epic - but with twice the cost and Maintenance I can see why it might not be an option ;-)

I'm curious: What fans and Speeds (RPM) do you run them?

Edit:
"aside from maybe a second pump for pressure"

Depends on the Pump. A Laing DDC (especially the 3.25) could enough. A DDC 1t or a D5 might borderline (difficult to tell how big the resistance of your components, fittings and tubes are).
i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz | 2x8GB DDR3-2400 Avexir Blitz 1.1 | Z87 Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 | Asus ROG Poseidon GTX 1080 Ti | Kingston HyperX 3K | Phanteks Enthoo Primo Tempered Glass | Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1200W | Thermaltake Riing RGB | XSPC RayStorm | Alphacool NexXxoS 420 XT45 | Alphacool Eisbecher + Laing DDC 3.25 + Alphacool Aurora RGB | Hardline PETG Tubing | This is ridiculous | EKWB CryoFuel AcidGreen | Green&Black Sleeved Cables | Acer Predator Z35 | Logitech G302 + G633 + G510s | etc..
Last Edit: 1 week 1 day ago by Birdhunter. Reason: Added Text
Moderators: 2ndPlayer, i7Baby
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds