Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: PC cooling

PC cooling 1 week 13 hours ago #15636

• nfs2192
  • Lurker
Not sure if you have a video on this couldn't find it but what is the best fan positions? I know heat rises so exhaust on the top? what if you have a custom liquid cooler also put it on top? Wouldn't it be harder for the loop to drain and remove air? I have a Corsair Air 240
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

PC cooling 1 week 12 hours ago #15637

• i7Baby
  • Thank you received: 56
Its usually fans blow in from the bottom and front of the case and blow out at the rear and top.

The A240 - www.corsair.com/en-gb/carbide-series-air...and-mini-itx-pc-case -
Fan Mount Locations Front: (x2) 120mm, Top: (x2) 120mm, Rear: (x2) 80mm, Bottom: (x2) 120mm, Side: (x1) 120mm
Fans Included Front: (x2) 120mm, Top: (x1) 120mm,
Radiator Mount Locations Front: 240mm , Bottom: 240mm
Compatible Corsair Liquid Coolers H55, H60, H75, H80i, H100i, H105
Which means radiators will blow hot air into the case - which I don't like.

So if I needed a radiator, I'd put it at the top. You'd need to check whether you can fit a radiator at the top.

I have an enthoo pro case with a h110igt blowing air out of the case at the top. It doesn't look like you can. Maybe you don't need one. What do you want the radiator for? CPU or GPU? Make and model?
R7-1700, H110GTi, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14, Samsung 250gb EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud
Last Edit: 1 week 12 hours ago by i7Baby.

PC cooling 1 week 6 hours ago #15640

• Birdhunter
  • Lurker
  • Gamer, Modder, Engineer... the usual stuff.
  • Thank you received: 11
Usually it's Intake at the bottom and front
and exhaust at the top an rear. Most cases, including the Air 240 air designed for that.

Smaller cases sometimes allow for a setup "the other way around" because of the small distance between intake and exhaust, but larger cases usually have the front fans near the bottom and the rear fans near the top, making it really hard to "push" that air down and out on a reverse setup. The bottom fans also usually blow cold air directly towards the fans of the GPU, which increases the performance of its cooler. Blowing air directly to the hot spots (CPU, GPU, VRM) is the most important part in any setup.

Supplying cold air directly to the GPU, CPU or radiator is (almost) always better then just sucking the hot air away from them, which is why an AiO runs cooler if it's mounted on the intake.

Basically:
Radiator on intake = Cooler loop, slightly higher temps overall.
Radiator on exhaust = Hotter loop, slightly lower temps overall.

As for radiotor placement: It depends.
Mostly, especially with custom loops, its more a question of "where can I put ..." and less about efficiency.

Only thing with AiOs vs custom loops is, that you usually can't bleed/remove air from the system, so the AiO should be placed and oriented in such a way that the air is trapped in the radiator and not sucked into the pump. With custom loops, you can usually shake and tilt them, change pump speeds and turn it on and off a couple times, which will leave most of the air trapped in the reservoir, where it can be easily removed.

As for your Air 240: It doesn't allow a radiator to be mounted on the top (because it would colide with the motherboard) - so you'll be running the radiator on the front or bottom anyways. However, the fan of the GPU sucks in cool air from the bottom - placing a radiator there would be detrimental. On the other hand, placing a fan on the bottom would actually benefit the GPU greatly. I think, having one fan on the bottom, one on the upper front (both intakes) and one top exhaust would be enough for this case, if you swap out the CPU cooler for a tower cooler (like a CM hyper 212). Maybe even just two fans, depending on ambient temps, what hardware you have and if you overclock. Keep in mind: Less fans = less noise. If temperatures are good enough, lowering noise and dust buildup is always "nice to have".

I personally think the temperature difference doesn't matter that much if it comes to radiator placement, as long as every component is cool enough and the airflow through the case is adequate.

For example:
In my case, I run 2 fans on front intake, 1 as a rear intake and 3 as a top exhaust with the radiator. (All are 140mm and all intakes have a dustfilter). The bottom front supplies air to the drive cage, the upper front directly to the fans of the gpu and the rear directly to the CPU/VRM. This way, I have airflow across the entire case, supply the hot spots with fresh air and have all intakes filtered, despite having 'neutral' air pressure. I could've gotten maybe 5 or 10°C lower temperature on CPU and GPU if I had opted for radiators on the intake, but does it really matter with the GPU sitting at 56°C? And the CPU smoothly running 4.7 GHz? Naaah.

In one of my previous builds, I've watercooled an i5-4690k and a gtx 970 with a single 200 radiator running a 180mm fan as front intake. But because I was crazy enough to put everything into a tiny Cooler Master Elite 110, the entire thing is cooled by that single 180 fan (and the psu fan) and the temperatures are all below 65°C.
i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz | 2x8GB DDR3-2400 Avexir Blitz 1.1 | Z87 Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 | Asus ROG Poseidon GTX 1080 Ti | Kingston HyperX 3K | Phanteks Enthoo Primo Tempered Glass | Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1200W | Thermaltake Riing RGB | XSPC RayStorm | Alphacool NexXxoS 420 XT45 | Alphacool Eisbecher + Laing DDC 3.25 + Alphacool Aurora RGB | Hardline PETG Tubing | This is ridiculous | EKWB CryoFuel AcidGreen | Green&Black Sleeved Cables | Acer Predator Z35 | Logitech G302 + G633 + G510s | etc..

PC cooling 6 days 20 hours ago #15649

• nfs2192
  • Lurker
Want to create a custom loop for cpu and gpu

PC cooling 6 days 19 hours ago #15650

• i7Baby
  • Thank you received: 56
The A240 isn't a real good case for doing that - you'd need at least a 240mm radiator.

Can you post your complete build?
R7-1700, H110GTi, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14, Samsung 250gb EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud

PC cooling 6 days 13 hours ago #15658

• Birdhunter
  • Lurker
  • Gamer, Modder, Engineer... the usual stuff.
  • Thank you received: 11
nfs2192 wrote:
Want to create a custom loop for cpu and gpu

What CPU?
what GPU?
Overclocking?
Budget?
i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz | 2x8GB DDR3-2400 Avexir Blitz 1.1 | Z87 Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 | Asus ROG Poseidon GTX 1080 Ti | Kingston HyperX 3K | Phanteks Enthoo Primo Tempered Glass | Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1200W | Thermaltake Riing RGB | XSPC RayStorm | Alphacool NexXxoS 420 XT45 | Alphacool Eisbecher + Laing DDC 3.25 + Alphacool Aurora RGB | Hardline PETG Tubing | This is ridiculous | EKWB CryoFuel AcidGreen | Green&Black Sleeved Cables | Acer Predator Z35 | Logitech G302 + G633 + G510s | etc..
Moderators: 2ndPlayer, i7Baby
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds