Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: win 10 vs win 7 in performance, 1 thing overlooked

win 10 vs win 7 in performance, 1 thing overlooked 2 weeks 1 day ago #15809

• Jollyriffic
  • Lurker
the following is a post i made in a streaming group i run but i think you guys would appreciate it even more. below is a copy and paste of what i typed

So a topic i've gone over before about Win 10 vs Win 7 in performance. generally speaking some games run better in 7 some in 10, the one metric people NEVER talk about is the actual cpu usage within those benches you watch on youtube. So i made a screencap to show these differences.
the highest calculation is the added cpu % usage per core and the lowest is those numbers divided by total core count.
In this shot, you see that windows 7 is actually out performing windows 10 in not only Frames Per Second, BUT additionally in lower cpu usage.
This is a singular example, but has been something i've pointed out multiple times when it comes to streaming. When i've run and benched using obs or xsplit, i can run a much slower preset in 7, using an i7-3770k, than i am able to in windows 10. Additionally i notice much less responsiveness when it comes to multitasking.
When i can afford to build a new rig, as the i7 died on me, i plan on running a lot of these benches. I'll be running the 1800x and hope to have a ton of content for this.

This screenshot was taken from a random time in this video
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSSceobA1WE
not my video and i jumped around a little bit to make sure the numbers mostly reflected the same ballpark/range, but didn't really go to nuts with looking at all of the figures throughout the entire video.

So while a lot of times it's a give or take on the individual applicaiton or game in a bench, there's little to nobody, that i've seen, showing the most important park of the bench, how much cpu is needed on each system for the stats.
While doing a single thing like gaming or photoshop, is fine, what about people multitasking.
in an example like this, a gamer that also streams would actually have more headroom for tighter stream settings, using a much slower preset to maximize video quality/fedility on 7 than 10 would permit.

figured i could shed some light on a situation that is the reason i still plan on being on 7 after i can afford a 1800x, motherboard, and ram.
With how overly thorough GN is with their review information, at least on youtube, maybe they could dive into this down the road and really shine a light on this situation.
I haven't read the articles, so maybe they actually have, and sometimes all the statistical information (steve? don't know their names by heart and i'm really bad with names) glazes me over, as it's a lot of numbers and my brain likes to say "lets just zone out for a min". nothing to do with his presentation, that's just how my mind works when too much info is being thrown at it.

first time post here, and just signed up today :D
The administrator has disabled public write access.

win 10 vs win 7 in performance, 1 thing overlooked 2 weeks 1 day ago #15814

• i7Baby
  • Thank you received: 67
Can you post your build that you used to test this?

And can you post the results of your tests?
R7-1700 @3900/1.375V, H110iGT, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14 @3466/14 1.38V, Samsung 250gb EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud

win 10 vs win 7 in performance, 1 thing overlooked 2 weeks 1 day ago #15823

• Jollyriffic
  • Lurker
In the post above i stated that's not my bench. But i'll include his build and my own.

His build that the screenshot is from
Setup:
Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3 (F5 Bios)
Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.0/3.7
2x8GB DDR4-3200
Geforce 1060 3GB (378.78 WHQL)

Windows 10 Chipset: Crimson ReLive Edition 17.2.1
Windows 7 Chipset: Driver Suite on gigabyte.com (Windows 7 drivers are NOT to be found on amd.com)

Windows 10/7: Energy Settings to "High Performance". Latest Windows Update patches.

Fresh Windows 10 installation. Ported Windows 7 installation.

My own build, prior to dying.
i7-3770k oc to 4.8ghz, h100 cooler lapped block, msi mpower z77, 16gb g.skill sniper 2133, gigabyte wf3 7950 3gb ram, OS and apps on ssd, games on independant ssd, backup drives = 3 hdds, seasonic 520w psu.
only thing ever replaced in the system was the ram, went from 1600 to 2133 and when i built it back in 2012 i had a 64gb samsung ssd, ended up getting some cheap silicon power ssds, wouldn't recommend them as a buy.

I'm not able to post my own tests of this as the computer is dead, the way i make money is by way of the PC. sort of a catch 22 since i need money to build a pc, but i need a pc to make money lol.

The vast majority of my own personal testing came from working on peoples computers.
I run a site/group/twitter all dedicated to streaming, i would test a persons limitations of settings we could use in OBS, while they were gaming. this way they could be at the maximum preset to permit them to have the maximum quality. including testing their net to see what resolution/fps they should be streaming at.. etc...
now on computers i've already worked on, i know those peoples settings. when they would do an upgrade or clean install from 7 to 10, it was like they lost anywhere from 25-75% of their performance.
You don't really see it in the FPS a lot of the times, but if you were to try streaming and gaming from the same identical machine, you couldn't use the same figures.

Take my i7 machine listed above. in windows 7, i could run any game with a Medium preset in obs without any loss in video game performance. gaming on the PC (not console) + streaming would be right into the 65% - 78% cpu usage. This is prior to hitting 4.8ghz on the i7, i only jumped up to 4.8ghz because the performance on 10 was so abysmal.
On win 10, i was lucky to be able to game on the pc + stream with very fast preset. Many times i'd need to drop down to ultrafast. all the same settings were identical between win 7 obs settings and 10 obs settings other than the preset.
Even streaming at the lower preset on 10 would have the cpu within the 80-100% cpu usage range. Mostly more like 90-100%.
I've worked on well over 100+ systems where i've seen this same situation happen.
I like the look of windows 10, don't even really care about the telemetry stuff, it's simply the performance that has me all "wtf did they do to windows".
I didn't use windows 8 that much, but i'm almost sure the same worse cpu usage happens in it also. Not as extreme from what i remember, but again, i used that for like a week and was like "nope!"

win 10 vs win 7 in performance, 1 thing overlooked 2 weeks 1 day ago #15827

• i7Baby
  • Thank you received: 67
"generally speaking some games run better in 7 some in 10,"

Have you tested these? And recorded CPU usage at the same time? Can you post the results?
R7-1700 @3900/1.375V, H110iGT, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14 @3466/14 1.38V, Samsung 250gb EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud

win 10 vs win 7 in performance, 1 thing overlooked 2 weeks 22 hours ago #15832

• Jollyriffic
  • Lurker
better as in FPS, i don't know of anything that runs in windows 10 with less cpu usage.
my computer fried, motherboard and cpu died. i was at a friends and my computer was right under a spot in her ceiling that started to leak. so no testing can be done.
Right now i'm selling a bunch of stuff on ebay so i can raise funds to buy a 1800x, 16gb ram, and motherboard.

no sense in wasting money on another i7-3770k and mpower motherboard.

I don't have a typical job, all my money comes from things i do with my pc, so, it's a long grind.
Right now i'm on my brothers craptop, has an amd A3400 and 4gb of ram. just using facebook is almost too much for this thing. So no testing would be able to be done with it.

When i get funds for the new rig, i'll be testing my face off with a dual boot windows 7/8.1/10 setup.

i personally do not have any screen shots, or benches saved. I did some for my own personal testing. The reason i posted this was simply because i was watching windows 10 vs 7 stuff and growing more and more mad that people weren't showing the CPU usage.
Hopefully the team here at Gamersnexus drop some videos on it.

Since you cant update windows 7 on new hardware, i was going to use "TeamOS" installer that has all the updates slipstreamed into the windows installer, then use SDI "snappy driver installer" to update all the chipsets and drivers.
from there i'd have win 7, 8.1, and 10 installed all updated and driver/chipset stuff installed so not a single thing changes.
IF you use Yumi you can actually install multiple operating systems as a dual/tripple or more from a single ssd/hdd
or you can hot swap your drives, my OS drive is actually in the hotswap bay. but that's more because i had 3 out of 5 silicon power ssds die on me after 400ish hours of operation.
Moderators: 2ndPlayer, i7Baby
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds