Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can you check my pc part picker?

Can you check my pc part picker? 4 months 1 week ago #15395

• eokovacs1
  • Lurker
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Can you check my pc part picker? 4 months 1 week ago #15396

• jmaster299
  • Lurker
  • Thank you received: 3
pcpartpicker.com/list/vhjkKZ

A couple of issues I would raise. First, I see no point in spending that much money on an unlocked GPU and a high end overclocking motherboard, like you have chosen in your build, but then cheaping out with a CPU cooler that can't really handle any proper overclocking. Sure a 212 Evo might keep an modestly overclocked 7700K from hitting it's thermal limit, but when overclocking anything you want to do more than just avoid the thermal limit where throttling or shutdowns will start to occur.

Either save some money overall with a locked CPU and a less expensive motherboard, or spend a little bit more on your CPU cooler. I also see no SSD of any kind and only 8GB of RAM. The SSD especially I would put a premium on over a high end motherboard, which you seem to be paying a premium on for no real reason I can see. 16GB of RAM should also really be considered that standard these days, as it's not enough for some games. Unless I shut down absolutely every non essential program, I was running out of RAM while playing DOOM (2016), and that was just single player mode. Having a few Chrome tabs open was enough to run out of system RAM.

With a difference of just $31, I switched out the CPU and motherboard, but added an SSD and switched to 16GB of 2400MHz RAM. It's a modest price increase but you will see a noticeable quality of life increase over your previous build. Again, you were never going to get a significant overclock out of that 7700K, and the locked 7700, that boosts to 4.2GHz on it's own, will be just as fast.

Even if you overclocked that 7700k to 4.8GHz, your FPS gain in various games would be minimal at best. So small you wouldn't notice them. The GTX 1060 is a far more significant factor when it comes to limiting performance in games compared to a few extra megahertz on your CPU. Oh, I also swapped out the cooler to the dual fan version, an $8 difference for the extra fan is well worth it IMO.

Before I forget, part of the money I saved also came from finding a less expensive copy of Windows 10. It's still a legit copy, and not from some key reseller website. It just doesn't come up in the automatic search from PCPartPicker and has to be added as a customer part. It's sold by an Amazon retailer, but fulfilled by Amazon. So they are big enough to actually lease space in Amazon's warehouse and have Amazon handle the shipping for them.

I don't know if you just prefer the ASUS brand, but there are less expensive 1060 models out there, if you want to save a few more bucks.
Last Edit: 4 months 1 week ago by jmaster299.

Can you check my pc part picker? 4 months 1 week ago #15398

• WendyLong
  • Lurker
Thanks for answering the question and explaining clearly and concrete.
BOMB IT 5

Can you check my pc part picker? 4 months 1 week ago #15399

• i7Baby
  • Thank you received: 87
CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($328.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX Z270-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($198.79 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($75.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($73.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Strix Video Card ($294.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.88 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit ($104.88 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($36.00 @ B&H)
Total: $1283.16
I would use a better cooler for an i7.
And I'd look for faster ram. If I had the budget, I'd also consider 16GB
Per www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html I'd get a better quality PSU eg Seasonic G550.
I'd download W10 ISO and use a Product Key from Kinguin ($20)
R7-1700 @3900/1.375V, H110iGT, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14 @3466/14 1.38V, Samsung 250gb EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud
Last Edit: 4 months 1 week ago by i7Baby.

Can you check my pc part picker? 4 months 1 week ago #15400

• jmaster299
  • Lurker
i7Baby wrote:
I'd download W10 ISO and use a Product Key from Kinguin ($20)

I hesitate recommending that for other people, tons of reports of those keys being deactivated at a later date by Microsoft, or Microsoft refusing to activate them in the first place. Sure it's worked fine for lots of people, but not for everyone, so it is a gamble.

At least with Amazon, even a reseller on Amazon, Amazon will stand behind the purchase and will help you get your money back if you get ripped off. Kinguin makes you pay them for that extra protection.

Can you check my pc part picker? 4 months 1 week ago #15414

• i7Baby
R7-1700 @3900/1.375V, H110iGT, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14 @3466/14 1.38V, Samsung 250gb EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud

Can you check my pc part picker? 4 months 1 week ago #15415

• jmaster299
  • Lurker
i7Baby wrote:
I have seen that video, it does nothing to change the facts. When buying from the various resellers on Kinguin, because Kinguin does not sell any of the Windows 10 keys directly, you run the risk of the key not working or getting revoked at a latter date. It seems to happen more often with the Pro keys than the Home keys, but it does happen and is a risk people take when buying from Kinguin.

It's why Kinguin sells their buyer protection service in the first place, charging you an extra fee in case you get ripped off by the seller Kinguin allowed on their website in the first place. If you want to be able to get your money back, you have to pay a fee up front to Kinguin for that added protection.

Those keys being sold, especially the Pro keys that a lot people were buying up in order to disable Windows Update, come from mass licensing bundles, typically used for businesses, schools, etc, where numerous keys are purchased at a discounted rate, but are supposed to be installed on multiple machines at the same location. Or they are purchased with stolen credit card information. In either case, Microsoft eventually catches on and deactivates the keys.

Even if your key activates, and never gets deactivated automatically by Microsoft, the sale of those keys via Kinguin is still illegal. The ToS of the Windows license requires the little sticker that has the barcode and activation key on it end up in the hands of the end user. By law you can never sell just the activation key via a 3rd party. The only time you can purchase a remote key is directly through the Microsoft store. It's why every copy of Windows on retailers like Amazon are physical copies and not digital copies. Despite Amazon being fully capable of offering digital copies of Windows. It's illegal for them to do so.

It's also why Kinguin doesn't sell any keys themselves, they just act as an eBay style digital marketplace, and operate out of a country where Microsoft is not going to have an easy time going after them in court. Will everyone have a problem? No. But of all the places to try and save a few bucks, the OS should be the last thing anyone cheaps out on. When spending $1000 or more on a system, if people can't afford an extra $50 for a legit copy of Windows, they shouldn't be building a system in the first place.

I can understand where people like Paul and other YouTubers are coming from with their need for these cheap keys. Microsoft makes it impossible for them to do their jobs correctly. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to pay a reasonable licensing fee for a legit copy of Windows that would allow them to constantly reinstall it on different systems as they test and review different hardware. But the average user who is buying a new OS once every 7-10 years has no excuse to be buying illegal keys.

Some first hand accounts of Windows key issues from Kinguin and G2A. Keys either not activating or getting revoked after the fact.
www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/542tf...ws_10_key_questions/

Can you check my pc part picker? 4 months 1 week ago #15438

• i7Baby
Mine worked fine.

They aren't illegal, They're OEM. Which, with W10, makes no difference anyway.
Last Edit: 4 months 1 week ago by i7Baby.

Can you check my pc part picker? 4 months 1 week ago #15440

• jmaster299
  • Lurker
i7Baby wrote:
Mine worked fine.

They aren't illegal, They're OEM. Which, with W10, makes no difference anyway.

Yes, they are 100% illegal. Go read the Windows ToS some time. No one is allowed to sell 100% digital licenses to Windows, except for Microsoft. All sales of Windows via 3rd parties must be done via physical copies that include the sticker that has the actual license key on it.

Also, every single one of those discounted keys being sold via Kinguin is obtained and resold via illegal means. The majority of which come from volume licensing deals that are illegal to resell the individual licenses. They are intended for schools, business, etc, who buy keys in bulk at a discounted rate for internal use. Or they are purchased with stolen credit cards.

You seem to like to make assertions without ever having any facts on your side. Windows keys from places like Kinguin and G2A have been revoked, I even provided a link to people discussing exactly that. Kinguin also offers a buyer protection service for exactly that reason, because the keys people buy from their site have a habit of not working or getting revoked. And if you want to get a refund from Kinguin, you have to pay them a protection fee up front.

It may be an outdated article, but direct from Microsoft's own mouth, it's only ever legal to buy Windows if you are buying a physical copy of it from a retailer. social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/309bb6...orum=genuinewindows7

The "license" you are buying is literally that physical sticker that has the key printed on it. If you are not buying that physical license, you are not buying a legal copy of Windows. It sucks that Windows is so expensive and the Microsoft has such terrible and anti-consumer practices. But that does not change the facts in this matter. Digital keys sold via websites like Kinguin are illegal. Maybe next time know the facts before making recommendations.

Can you check my pc part picker? 4 months 1 week ago #15447

• i7Baby
Saying they are illegal doesn't make it so. It certainly isn't being policed.

And Kinguin also send a copy of the "certificate". And they provide insurance ($6) against any problems. Microsoft isn't taking any action against people who sell keys.
  • Page:
Moderators: 2ndPlayer, i7Baby
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds