Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Zotac 1080 Ti AMP Extreme Review

Zotac 1080 Ti AMP Extreme Review 2 months 1 week ago #15597

• dieandpuke
  • Lurker
Old time gamer but new member here! I copied and pasted this from my You Tube comment about this review.

I have this card along with others. As you can imagine some of us are now concerned about power component temps. Please comment on what thicknesses of thermal pad would be needed so that only one layer of thermal pad would be needed. Also, if someone were to add tp's under the backplate where do you recommend they be placed?

One more thought for your videos in the future.

When you do have a video that is negative towards a product and you have developed a fix or a partial fix please spend a minute or two explaining the fix in more detail for the people that own the card. For example you could say: a 3 mm thick and 1.5 wide by 4 inches long tp is needed for the power components. Also a couple 2 mm thick 1 inch wide by 4 inches long tp could be used at these locations to help with the backplate temps. This way, owners of the card could order the thermal pads without tearing apart the cards to measure, put back together while waiting for the tp's to show up to keep playing then do it all over again when pads show up.

To really go all out, screen shots would be great of the backplate tp recommended locations. I know this was a user's card and you might not of wanted to do all that. Love your channel and been a subscriber for awhile.
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by dieandpuke.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Zotac 1080 Ti AMP Extreme Review 2 months 1 week ago #15599

• dieandpuke
  • Lurker
dieandpuke wrote:
Old time gamer but new member here! I copied and pasted this from my You Tube comment about this review.

I have this card along with others. As you can imagine some of us are now concerned about power component temps. Please comment on what thicknesses of thermal pad would be needed so that only one layer of thermal pad would be needed. Also, if someone were to add tp's under the backplate where do you recommend they be placed?

One more thought for your videos in the future.

When you do have a video that is negative towards a product and you have developed a fix or a partial fix please spend a minute or two explaining the fix in more detail for the people that own the card. For example you could say: a 3 mm thick and 1.5 wide by 4 inches long tp is needed for the power components. Also a couple 2 mm thick 1 inch wide by 4 inches long tp could be used at these locations to help with the backplate temps. This way, owners of the card could order the thermal pads without tearing apart the cards to measure, put back together while waiting for the tp's to show up to keep playing then do it all over again when pads show up.

To really go all out, screen shots would be great of the backplate tp recommended locations. I know this was a user's card and you might not of wanted to do all that. Love your channel and been a subscriber for awhile.

Trying to figure out from the video if it is a .5 mm thermal pad that is placed on top of a 1.5mm or a 1.0mm on top of 2.0mm. I want to order but it would be nice to have the right thickness to order. I am guessing a 3mm would be right as it would squish down anyways.

Another thought is to just take the rubber piece off completely to allow more air to get to the power components heatsink. I really do not want to take the backplate off. I have a Haf 932 case so airflow should not be an issue!

Thoughts??

Zotac 1080 Ti AMP Extreme Review 2 months 1 week ago #15603

• Lelldorianx
  • GN Admin
  • o hai thar
  • Thank you received: 143
Hi there,

We stacked two thermal pads - 0.5mm + 1mm (may have been 1.5mm). If you were to purchase a 2mm thermal pad, you should have enough 'squish' to bridge contact between the two surfaces. It should assist in both noise damping and thermal transfer.
Did we help you? Consider supporting GN's staff with a donation.
Buying from Newegg, Amazon, & some other sites supports our staff through commission. This link explains.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief of GN.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dieandpuke

Zotac 1080 Ti AMP Extreme Review 2 months 6 days ago #15664

• 3cs
  • Lurker
I replaced the rubber divider with a thermal pad today on my card. The rubber divider had clear indentations from being pressed between the large and small heatsinks. So even though the rubber divider is only 1mm thick there is no cap between it and the heatsinks on my card.
I replaced it with a 1,5mm thermal pad and it's a very tight fit. I hoped that the thermal pad would "sink" in between the fins of the heatsinks to increase the surface available for heat transfer, but I wonder if I should have used a 1mm thermal pad instead.

I guess Zotac's production line has some loose tolerances when fitting the large heatsink.

Another difference between my card and the one you showed in the tear-down/performance videos is that mine (ZT-P10810C-10P) is missing the "normal" VRAM module.

See imgur link for images of rubber divider with indentations and the missing VRAM module.

https://imgur.com/a/TCwag
Last Edit: 2 months 6 days ago by 3cs.

Zotac 1080 Ti AMP Extreme Review 2 months 5 days ago #15665

• i7Baby
  • Thank you received: 77
"Another difference between my card and the one you showed in the tear-down/performance videos is that mine (ZT-P10810C-10P) is missing the "normal" VRAM module."

Got a photo showing what's missing? eg photo with the "normal" VRAM module" in place?
R7-1700 @3900/1.375V, H110iGT, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14 @3466/14 1.38V, Samsung 250gb EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud

Zotac 1080 Ti AMP Extreme Review 2 months 5 days ago #15666

• 3cs
  • Lurker
The "normal" missing VRAM module:

The indentations in the rubber divider:

Zotac 1080 Ti AMP Extreme Review 2 months 5 days ago #15667

• dieandpuke
  • Lurker
I cut some Thermal Grizzly Minus 8 pad 2.0mm to the correct size. Of course I removed the rubber pad first. Did not seem to tight. Also redid thermal paste to Gelid Extreme. Probably will take a few days to cure.

Zotac 1080 Ti AMP Extreme Review 2 months 5 days ago #15670

• i7Baby
3cs - Where should the vram module be? Have you got a photo showing the same pcb with a vram module?
R7-1700 @3900/1.375V, H110iGT, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14 @3466/14 1.38V, Samsung 250gb EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud
Last Edit: 2 months 5 days ago by i7Baby.

Zotac 1080 Ti AMP Extreme Review 2 months 5 days ago #15671

• i7Baby
dieandpuke - It'll be interesting to see what sort of temperature difference it makes.

Zotac 1080 Ti AMP Extreme Review 2 months 5 days ago #15672

• 3cs
  • Lurker
i7Baby wrote:
3cs - Where should the vram module be? Have you got a photo showing the same pcb with a vram module?

I'm referring to the ZOTAC 1080 Ti Amp Extreme Tear-Down (3m8s) video where Steve Burke notes that this is the first 1080 Ti card with a different VRAM module missing. However, it would seem that his sample is different from mine - as my card is missing the "normal" one.
  • Page:
Moderators: 2ndPlayer, i7Baby
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds