Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: SSD upgrade/OS migration

SSD upgrade/OS migration 2 months 2 weeks ago #15792

• colburn miller
  • Lurker
  • Thank you received: 1
After running out of space on my 250Gb SSD I've ordered a 1Tb M.2 SSD which I'd like to use as my main drive, however I'm not too sure how to go about doing this. All I really know is that I need some software.
Any input would be appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

SSD upgrade/OS migration 2 months 2 weeks ago #15793

• Birdhunter
  • First Blood!
  • Gamer, Modder, Engineer... the usual stuff.
  • Thank you received: 23
Before making anything, get a copy / backup from your current drive, so that you don't loose anything important if something goes wrong. A USB drive with copy&Paste of all the pictures, documents, music, etc. would do, but you could also make a disk-image/backup image (with 3rd party software).

The simplest way would be to just install the new SSD, leave the OS on the older one and un-/ reinstall all programms/games to the new drive. The OS doesn't really benefit much from the higher speeds over M.2 anyways (if it's a NVME drive - if it's running SATA over M.2, there won't be a difference at all).

The second approach would be to simply install the OS (I assume Windows) on the new drive (leave your old drive unplugged for the install) and install all the driver and programms anew. Then simply plug the old drive in, boot into the newer OS, transfer all the Data (Pictures, docs, etc.) from the old drive via drag&drop and format the old drive afterwards, so it'll become just a regular drive. (Make sure ALL the data is transfered before formatting). A major benefit of this would be, that you would end up with a clean new OS and get rid of all the clutter and garbage that the OS tends to accumulate over the years.

The third way would be to use software to transfer everything from the old to the new drive. The ones that come to mind are Acronis, Samsung "Data Migration" or EaseUS. The benefit is, that you won't have to reinstall most software - but the downside is, that you'll also transfer all the clutter and that it (also depending on the software) can sometimes result in bugs and post-install fixes.

I personally make a new, clean install everytime I switch PCs or swap drives, because it's a good opportunity to get rid of older and unused software. It also "fixes" some of the bugs I occasionally encounter. I use Acronis for Backups and for an easy reset of my Testbench (where is not a problem, the hardware doesn't change).
i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz | 2x8GB DDR3-2400 Avexir Blitz 1.1 | Z87 Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 | Asus ROG Poseidon GTX 1080 Ti | HyperX 3K SSDs | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass | Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1,2kW | Thermaltake Riing RGB | Long Sig! | XSPC RayStorm | Alphacool NexXxoS 420 XT45 | Alphacool Eisbecher & Laing DDC 3.25 & Alphacool Aurora RGB | Hardline PETG Tubing | EKWB CryoFuel AcidGreen | Green&Black Sleeved Cables | Acer Predator Z35 | Still reading? | Logitech G302 + G633 + G410 | etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: colburn miller

SSD upgrade/OS migration 2 months 2 weeks ago #15795

• i7Baby
  • Thank you received: 87
Part of the reason I got a Samsung 250gb evo SSD for my OS was it's Migration software. It worked great.
I try not to add anything else to it and run a separate 2tb hdd for data and programs and an old 120gb ssd for video scratch disk.
R7-1700 @3900/1.375V, H110iGT, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14 @3466/14 1.38V, Samsung 250gb EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud

SSD upgrade/OS migration 2 months 2 weeks ago #15796

• colburn miller
  • Lurker
Thanks for the help! And my intent is to give my old SSD to my brother or father.
Is the Samsung data migration free?

SSD upgrade/OS migration 2 months 2 weeks ago #15797

• i7Baby
Is the Samsung data migration free?

Yes, here - www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools.html
R7-1700 @3900/1.375V, H110iGT, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14 @3466/14 1.38V, Samsung 250gb EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud
The following user(s) said Thank You: colburn miller

SSD upgrade/OS migration 2 months 2 weeks ago #15798

• colburn miller
  • Lurker
So it is, much thanks

SSD upgrade/OS migration 2 months 2 weeks ago #15799

• colburn miller
  • Lurker
New issue, My M.2 drive isn't showing up anywhere. Not my BIOS or OS. I do have the M.2 slot enabled in my BIOS.
It's a Samsung 960 pro and I have an EVGA Z170 MoBo

EDIT: Got it to detect, used Samsung data migration to copy my old drive to it, and it work fine. Briefly. In the middle of a download my system froze and didn't recover. Had to do a hard shutdown and now it won't detect in Bios or Windows again.
Switched back to my old drive, it boots to desktop, but freezes and auto reboots in a seemingly endless cycle.
I think I might have a serious problem..
Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by colburn miller.

SSD upgrade/OS migration 2 months 2 weeks ago #15806

• i7Baby
Any idea why your system froze?

If you disconnect all the drives, does your PC post - load bios?

SSD upgrade/OS migration 2 months 2 weeks ago #15807

• colburn miller
  • Lurker
I genuinely have no idea. I can go into bios and get to desktop as normal with my old drive, but in 3-5 mins it just freezes and auto reboots.

SSD upgrade/OS migration 2 months 2 weeks ago #15808

• i7Baby
How many OS drives are still on your PC?

Which is in bios as your primary boot drive?
Moderators: 2ndPlayer, i7Baby
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds