Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Draining water loop

Draining water loop 2 months 1 week ago #15884

• nfs2192
  • Lurker

Half way finished but I messed up. I shouldn't have put water in it because it was (filtered) tap water I know it's supposed to be distilled I was eager to see if it leaked. So now I'll have to drain it and add the GPU to the loop later. Any tips? I was thinking hold it over the sink and take out the input while putting in distilled.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Draining water loop 2 months 1 week ago #15885

• JD_And_Chocolatebear
  • GN Staff
  • Thank you received: 100
Well I'd suggest adding in a drain valve when you add the GPU to the loop to make your life easier in the future :P but as for right now, just unplug your PC, unhook any power cables (and ensure your PSU is off). Then I would cover everything that could possibly get wet with towels/paper towels. Then hold the PC over a bucket/sink/tub so that the tube you're unhooking to drain it is as low as it can be (so it's less likely to drain on any parts. From the looks of it I would probably drain from the front radiator connection if you can. So you'd have the front (window side) of the case down and unhook that front most (farthest from motherboard) and drain it.

Once you've drained most of it you can just unhook the other parts carefully and get any remaining water out.

Then finally let your PC dry for a long period of time. If a little water splashes on the motherboard, it should be okay so long as you let everything fully dry (otherwise it could short).

TLDR: Place paper towels, drain from most convenient port, be careful, let dry for a while just in case.

I would also suggest considering getting a kill coil ( www.amazon.com/Silver-Coils-Antimicrobia...-Strip/dp/B00A66HMRC ) or using some biocide in order to help prevent any bacteria from growing in your loop. (I've personally heard better things about kill coils than most biocides but both are pretty good options).

Draining water loop 2 months 1 week ago #15892

• Birdhunter
  • First Blood!
  • Gamer, Modder, Engineer... the usual stuff.
  • Thank you received: 23
Dito, what JD said.

I'm curious: How did you get the liquid in?
If you have a Pump/Reservoir combo in the back there, you could add a drainage there.
Pump-Blocks and reservoirs often have additional holes, so I usually add a 90° piece (with outer thresds on both sides), a small valve, and a bit of flexible tubbing to that.

I would also suggest to run some destilled water through the loop a couple of times (after all, a jug or two of destilled water is dirt cheap and available everywhere) before putting in the final liquid, to flush out any residue, dirt, flux, etc.
i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz | 2x8GB DDR3-2400 Avexir Blitz 1.1 | Z87 Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 | Asus ROG Poseidon GTX 1080 Ti | HyperX 3K SSDs | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass | Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1,2kW | Thermaltake Riing RGB | Long Sig! | XSPC RayStorm | Alphacool NexXxoS 420 XT45 | Alphacool Eisbecher & Laing DDC 3.25 & Alphacool Aurora RGB | Hardline PETG Tubing | EKWB CryoFuel AcidGreen | Green&Black Sleeved Cables | Acer Predator Z35 | Still reading? | Logitech G302 + G633 + G410 | etc.

Draining water loop 2 months 1 week ago #15893

• nfs2192
  • Lurker
I plan on putting mayhem pastel white which I think comes with biocide

Draining water loop 2 months 1 week ago #15895

• nfs2192
  • Lurker
Yea the res/pump is in the back.
Could you link to the parts. Was trying to figure out how to add a drain to a hard loop.

Draining water loop 2 months 1 week ago #15896

• JD_And_Chocolatebear
  • GN Staff
  • Thank you received: 100
I was thinking something like a t connection in the loop ( www.frozencpu.com/products/10382/ex-tub-...dapter_BP-MBTMB.html like that ) with the perpendicular tube offshoot having a valve fitting at the end or just a plug so you can easily drain using it without unhooking any other parts.
Moderators: 2ndPlayer, i7Baby
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds