Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The infamous kernel power

The infamous kernel power 1 month 4 days ago #15931

• Dmitrybeard
  • Lurker
Hello fellow PC builders!

As it often happens, people register on forums only when they have something particular to ask or discuss, which is why I registered now.

Year ago I've built a system:
Win10
asrock z170 extreme 4
i5-6600k
bequiet dark rock pro 3 cooler
16gb RAM Corsair LPX vengeance
m.2. samsung 850 ssd 500gb
Nvidia GTX 950 Asus Strix
PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660W (SS-660XP2)
Case: bequiet silent base 800
2 of the system fans are connected to the M/B with noctuas low noise adapters

The system was extremely cool, quiet and well built. Although GTX 950 was a temporary card till I got more money for a better one. But in some games the system suffered from occasional lock ups. Competitive games like Dota 2 and CS:GO. The only way to restart was switching of the PSU and power it on again. Can't say I was happy with that.

After 5-6 months I bought a Samsung 1080p 144hz freesync monitor to replace an old 60hz 1080p. And an XFX RX480 8GB Black Edition GTR. Quite a furnace I might say but under heavy load it stays around 87 Celsius which is ok I guess. The lock ups disappeared but random restarts appeared. During gaming sessions the system would randomly restart. I think Diablo 3 was the only game that didn't restart the system.

I tried different things like removing overclock from the CPU which was only 4.0Ghz and return it back to default frequency. Ran RAM at different settings with both XMP profiles tested and default frequency too. Nothing helped.

I found out about event logger in W10 and found Kernel Power Critical Error that was logged.
First thoughts were, of course, that the PSU is to blame (although some people told me that this kind of PSU can't fail). So I lend a Corsair 600W psu from a friend, replaced mine with it and the problem still happened. For example Player Uknown's Battlegrounds makes system restart even by hanging in the menu where you see your character.
Then I had an idea that probably there is too much or not enough power from the wall, so I measured it and its 207-210V which extremely stable.

I've attached the photo of inside of the system and the kernel power error screenshot.
Although I placed the GPU now in the upper PCI-E slot but nothing changed.

If some of you have any ideas where to look for the source of the problem, I would be really grateful!
I've seen a lot of people online with the same problem but that was the PSU problem, cuz they had really bad ones.
Or should I just sell the whole system, lol

Thank you for your attention!

P.S. The monitor (samsung C24FG70) also flickers with freesync on or off with DP cable. I even bought a new cable, and its still the same. In games or just when I browse the web. Which pisses me off even more. Maybe these problems are connected?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

The infamous kernel power 1 month 4 days ago #15933

• i7Baby
  • Thank you received: 77
Does it also come up with the error "The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device WpdBusEnumRoot\UMB\ "
per answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/foru...-f217a68d3886?auth=1 ?
R7-1700 @3900/1.375V, H110iGT, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14 @3466/14 1.38V, Samsung 250gb EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud

The infamous kernel power 1 month 4 days ago #15937

• Birdhunter
  • First Blood!
  • Gamer, Modder, Engineer... the usual stuff.
  • Thank you received: 16
By Intuition, I would've guessed a Problem with the CPU and its Power aswell.

207-210V? That seems a little odd, since I would've expected 230V +/- 5%, at least here in (most of) Europe. But it shouldn't be an issue, since the PSU is 100-250V. Still, I would check the Voltages if the CPU (with software like HWInfo64) to see if everything checks out.

But since you ruled out the PSU, there are a number of things I can think of being the Problem:

0. Did you plug in the right CPU-Power cable? I know it sounds silly, but it's an easy mistake.

1. I would first check and update the UEFI/Bios and all drivers to the latest version. It's the easiest thing to do, which why I would do that first. Then try to run everything at Stock settings (everything on "auto" in the UEFI and NO OC-Software, if you happen to use one). You can use software like CPU-Z or HWinfo64 to confirm all the numbers, without risking to have an OC-Software altering them.

HWinfo also shows the CPU power draw and allows logging, so you could run some tests and see if the CPU fails at a specific point (like when it reaches X °C or draws Y Watts of power).

2. It could be a bent Pin. If you have some spare Thermal paste, I would suggest removing the CPU cooler, taking the CPU out of the socket and carefully check if none of the Pins are bent or brocken.

3. If everything checks out so far, then there are two things left of what could be wrong:
- Faulty Motherboard
- Faulty CPU
If there's no visible clue, like bent pins, a Case-Standoff that accidentally touches the back of the Motherboard or Scratched, then it's going to be difficult to determine what's faulty. The easiest way would be to swap the CPU or MB with another one (maybe borrow from a friend?) and see if the problem still persists.

As with the Monitor:

Funny, because it's advertised as "Flicker Free" :grin:

I would try with different Ports on the GPU and then different sources (HDMI, a friends PC or Notebook, etc.) and/or different Monitors, to see if it's a faulty port, a faulty GPU or faulty Monitor.

Since you switched from an Nvidia card to AMD and a new Monitor, It could also be some shenanigans with the driver or the Monitor settings. AMD and Nvidia have "clean uninstaller" software that you can Download to make sure there's no residue before installing the new drivers. And I would check the settings in Windows and the AMD Driver to make sure the Monitor recognised properly and set to 144Hz, FreeSync, etc.
i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz | 2x8GB DDR3-2400 Avexir Blitz 1.1 | Z87 Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 | Asus ROG Poseidon GTX 1080 Ti | Kingston HyperX 3K | Phanteks Enthoo Primo Tempered Glass | Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1200W | Thermaltake Riing RGB | XSPC RayStorm | Alphacool NexXxoS 420 XT45 | Alphacool Eisbecher + Laing DDC 3.25 + Alphacool Aurora RGB | Hardline PETG Tubing | This is ridiculous | EKWB CryoFuel AcidGreen | Green&Black Sleeved Cables | Acer Predator Z35 | Logitech G302 + G633 + G510s | etc..
Last Edit: 1 month 4 days ago by Birdhunter.
Moderators: 2ndPlayer, i7Baby
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds