Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Please God Help. RX480 OC issues

Please God Help. RX480 OC issues 3 weeks 5 days ago #15960

• MacDeStroir
  • Lurker
Ok so to start, I've scoured these forums as well as about 17 others to see if anyone has had the same issue. I've never heard of this specific issue.

I purchased an ASUS RX480 O4G back in march of this year. I am running an FX-8350 OCd to 4.6 plugged into an ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2 with 16GB of DDR3 and a 1TB seagate HDD all powered by a gold certified 750W PSU.

Built the machine. Great. Install my windows 7 enterprise. Awesome. Install drivers and update OS. sweet. OC the card to a very stable 1400MHz (+100 over stock 1300). Amazing. I run that solid up until about a month ago when i decide to throw in my old HD 4670 and see how it stacks up these days. Poorly btw.

I go through all the proper driver and hardware unistall for 480 and pop in the 4670. I run some benchmarks and play some games. Works fantastic. So i uninstall drivers and hardware and throw the 480 back in.

This is where things get strange. I install the drivers and head into my overclocking software. Once opened it is showing that it has the 480 downclocked to 1240MHz (-60 from stock 1300). So i think to myself thats strange and go ahead and adjust the clock speed higher. I hit apply and instantly the card jumps back down to 1240.

So i assume maybe a driver install/software issue. I uninstall and reinstall. Same problem. I check clock speeds in gpuz with the OC software turned off and it reads normal. Turn it on and it reads 1240. Needless to say im irritated.

I format windows to resolve this issue cause I dont have time to mess with it and it should be quite effective and quick. Once i get the OS loaded, I install drivers and when i get to the graphics drivers, the software unpacks just fine and dandy. Once the upack is finished, the installer opens and immediately crashes with the error message "AMD Software has stopped working".

So after countless driver versions and tons of googling, nothing worked. Same error every time. Even in safe mode. So i just decide to updat windows and see if that helped. It, theoretically, should make no difference as i did not have to do this when i originally built the machice. I do it anyway and low and behold it let me install drivers. But the OC software still underclocks the card.

So i say screw it and install msi afterburner. Nothin. The nob is there but i cant adjust the clock speed. Just the fan. So i open up wattman. I get success after all this time. I got it to OC th 1380 stable. Cant seem to get back to my good ol 1400 though.

No idea where to go from here. Ive looked everywhere for an answer. I even called and talked to ASUS directly. Nothin.

Im lost and i just wanna OC normally again.
Please someone out ther smarter than me give me some hope.

Thank you in advanced.
Mac
DeStroir Workstation| Asus M5A99FX MB | AMD FX-8370 @ 4.6GHz | NZXT Kraken X62 AIO | 16GB G. Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 | ASUS DUAL RX 480 O4G | Photon 750W PSU | Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Please God Help. RX480 OC issues 3 weeks 4 days ago #15961

• i7Baby
  • Thank you received: 77
Can you try your card in another PC?

Try Display Driver Uninstaller then re-install your driver. DDU should get rid of all copies on all drives. You only have the one drive?

What voltage is your GPU running at (eg from HWInfo64)? Has the GPU been undervolted?

Tried Wattool?

Have you set the power limit to a low figure?
(www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/4uydlx...cks_at_normal_temps/)
R7-1700 @3900/1.375V, H110iGT, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14 @3466/14 1.38V, Samsung 250gb EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud
The following user(s) said Thank You: MacDeStroir

Please God Help. RX480 OC issues 3 weeks 3 days ago #15970

• MacDeStroir
  • Lurker
Thank you for the reply! I went the route of DDU after a couple failed attempts. Didnt help it or hurt it. I have been trying to find someone i know with a rig I can throw it into.

The stock voltage is 1.15v and i set power limit to +30%. I was originally OCing with ASUS GPU Tweak 2 (newest version) and that was working flawless. Had the card clocked at 1400MHz and 1.225v running super smooth. So definitely no undervolting of any kind.

Never heard of watttool. Ill go check it out.

Im also wondering if maybe changing OS to win10 might help.

Thanks again. Truly appreciated.
Mac
DeStroir Workstation| Asus M5A99FX MB | AMD FX-8370 @ 4.6GHz | NZXT Kraken X62 AIO | 16GB G. Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 | ASUS DUAL RX 480 O4G | Photon 750W PSU | Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit

Please God Help. RX480 OC issues 3 weeks 2 days ago #15975

• i7Baby
  • Thank you received: 77
Something is screwy if the card is only running at 1240MHz at 1.15V and 30% power.
Is the 1.15v a reading (eg from HWInfo64) or what it's set to?
R7-1700 @3900/1.375V, H110iGT, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14 @3466/14 1.38V, Samsung 250gb EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud

Please God Help. RX480 OC issues 1 week 2 days ago #15994

• colesdav
  • Lurker
Please get an account on the AMD Community Forum and ask for help there.

1. Please double check your GPU is seated correctly in the PCIe slot.

2. If you are running up to date AMD Crimson ReLive Drivers (Drivers installed ~ later than Feb 2017) you cannot also install and run Third Party Overclocking Tools and expect the drivers to work any more.
Don't have a go at me for that statement.
Talk with AMD. They will tell you Third Party OC Tools were never supported.
Never support is not the same as deliberately/or by mistake "disabled" in my view.

So if you are running MSI Afterburner and or Sapphire Trixx and or GPUTweak II etc etc you have to uninstall them all first. Then uninstall your AMD GPU Driiver. Then maybe run amdcleanuputility.exe then do a fresh install of your drivers.

That will be your starting point.

I do not know how Sapphire or ASUS or MSI are saying about thiss third Party Overclocking Situation with Latest AMD Crimson ReLive Drivers.

Maybe see you on the AMD Community Forum.

Cheers.
Last Edit: 1 week 2 days ago by colesdav.
Moderators: 2ndPlayer, i7Baby
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds