Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: G-sync and visual tearing on Acer X34

G-sync and visual tearing on Acer X34 2 weeks 4 hours ago #15989

• Mal
  • Lurker
Hi Guys

I have a question about the operational range of g-sync. I've noticed that in games where I turn v-sync off and g-sync on that I still get visual tearing where its around the 100 fps mark, namely RE7 Bio-hazard and Prey. I have an Acer Predator X34 ultra-wide set to the 100 Hz refresh rate and have turned on g-sync in the Nvidia control panel. The same level of visual tearing occurs whether or not I have g-sync on with v-sync off. Is there another setting on the monitor itself that I'm missing here? I've gone through the manual and there's no mention of a setting within the monitor OSD. I've dealt with it for couple of months now but it's really starting to annoy me since I had paid such a premium for the monitor and expected this feature to work out the gate.

My system specs if that helps with anything are:
Core i7 7700k @5 GHz
EVGA GTX 1080 ti SC2 +75MHz core +395MHz Mem
Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX
16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
512GB Samsung 960 Evo MVMe M.2 SSD
Corsair H110i 280mm Cooler
TT Toughpower Grand 750W
Plus the aforementioned Acer Predator X34 Monitor

Any help would be appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

G-sync and visual tearing on Acer X34 2 weeks 1 hour ago #15990

• Abibliboop
  • GN Staff
  • Thank you received: 69
Does the screen have tearing when locked at 95 fps? I've heard a few people complaining about it not getting the full 100 fps due to monitor variance. Also, some people have been able to resolve the 100 fps tearing issue by rolling back to older drivers for the monitor or setting OD to normal or off.
The thing hasn't been built that I can't break...
putting it back together is another story.
Last Edit: 2 weeks 54 minutes ago by Abibliboop.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mal

G-sync and visual tearing on Acer X34 1 week 6 days ago #15991

• i7Baby
  • Thank you received: 78
R7-1700 @3900/1.375V, H110iGT, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14 @3466/14 1.38V, Samsung 250gb EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud

G-sync and visual tearing on Acer X34 1 week 6 days ago #15992

• Mal
  • Lurker
Hmmm the earliest driver I could go back to 378.78 for the 1080 ti and I still get tearing. I also have OD off on the monitor OSD. I have a second hand GTX 960 coming in for a second PC build I might try using that card with an earlier driver and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the suggestions.

G-sync and visual tearing on Acer X34 1 week 6 days ago #15993

• Abibliboop
  • GN Staff
Did tearing go away when monitor was clocked to 95 or 90? If so, that means the problem is you are getting too many FPS for G-Sync to smooth it out (G-Sync functionality caps at your screens refresh rate, but doesn't cap your actual FPS), for lack of a better way of saying it.

After researching some more, here are a few other things you can test.

Have G-Sync and Fast-Sync active at same time (linked article is explanation of fast-sync). If screen is tearing because you are getting more than 100 FPS this should compensate for that by having Fast-Sync take over anytime you are above refresh rate and G-Sync kick in anytime you are at or below 100 FPS. Will potentially put more strain on the GPU, make sure card is kept in a good temperature range.

Have G-Sync and V-Sync both on at same time. Will have some more input latency, due to specifically capping FPS to your refresh rate, than the above option but won't put the potential strain on the card (with current cards and good fans, not sure how much of a realistic concern the fast-sync will be vs the V-sync latency).

Try setting OD to normal on the monitor OSD and test again.

Try putting game and G-Sync into borderless windowed mode instead of fullscreen (linked page explains how to set it in G-Sync) which is not an ideal solution, but has helped some people with this issue.

You can try locking the frame rate to just under 100 (99.9 or something similar) with a different software program like Rivatuner.

It appears the problem is that G-Sync is golden until it gets input close to or past the refresh rate of your monitor (be it 100 like yours or 165 or whatever). Once it peaks past this range, then screen tearing happens (so most people don't notice it 5-15 FPS before max screen refresh rate, once you peak past that range you get your tears because G-Sync doesn't cap the FPS and starts trying to play catch up it seems). Having V-Sync off allows it to pop past screen refresh rate which is where the screen tearing is coming from (hence the V-Sync or Fast-Sync options I mention above should resolve the issue).
Last Edit: 1 week 5 days ago by Abibliboop.

G-sync and visual tearing on Acer X34 1 week 4 days ago #15995

• Mal
  • Lurker
Yes capping the FPS to 100 stopped the tearing, I also tested G-sync + Fast Sync which also stopped the tearing. Using v-sync also eliminated the tearing however gave me quite noticeable input latency.

Thanks for the insight. After doing some more research on the topic I've a clearing understanding now of how G-Sync operates. It's there to stop the visual artifacts when FPS dips below the refresh rate and not for when the FPS goes above the monitor's refresh rate.

I guess the marketing and communication for G-sync thus far gave me the impression that it was the be all and end all for smooth game play and also limit tearing. I guess that's what happens when you get swiped up in the hype.

Now I have to decide which is the best option for me. G-Sync + Fast Sync or G-sync + 100 FPS cap?

G-sync and visual tearing on Acer X34 1 week 4 days ago #15996

• Abibliboop
  • GN Staff
Keep us posted on which one you like best and why, so we can recommend it to others. 8^D

G-sync and visual tearing on Acer X34 1 week 2 days ago #16000

• Mal
  • Lurker
They both are very similar experiences. There was maybe an ever so slight hint of input latency when using fast sync but it could just be my mind expecting this and thus confirming my own bias. I'd need to do a blind side by side test to really actually tell the difference.

So G-sync + 100 FPS frame cap is what I'll go for as it'll limit the GPU having to render more frames than what's actually needed so in theory should run cooler.

Thanks Guys! :D
Moderators: 2ndPlayer, i7Baby
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds