Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lost sharpness/contast/quality after bad reboot

Lost sharpness/contast/quality after bad reboot 1 month 1 day ago #16233

• ZonePhoenix
  • Lurker
Hey all

Recently i was gaming normally and i needed to reboot because of frame drops so instead of shutting down windows normally i turned it off by the case reset button

After that i saw a flash inside my case and a slight smell, but everything was still fine except for one thing

The picture quality on both my monitors went to total **** and i dont know why, the sharpness and contrast i had before was lost and everything looks worse now

The quality is still acceptable and i use them but i cant understand what happened and if its fixable or not

I took a couple pictures on my phone, the pic is of an icon on my tray illustrates what happened, the left image is how its supposed to look when the monitor renders correctly and on the right is how it currently looks, which is all blurred and stretched sideways as if the pixels dont display on a 1:1 ratio or something

imgur.com/a/xzSaA

Anyone have any ideas?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Lost sharpness/contast/quality after bad reboot 1 month 23 hours ago #16234

• i7Baby
  • Thank you received: 96
"After that i saw a flash inside my case and a slight smell, but everything was still fine except for one thing"

Sheesh

Can you post your complete build. Sounds like something - maybe your graphics card (if you have one) - has smoked it.
R7-1700 @3900/1.375V, H110iGT, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14 @3466/14 1.38V, Samsung 250gb EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud
The following user(s) said Thank You: ZonePhoenix

Lost sharpness/contast/quality after bad reboot 4 weeks 2 days ago #16236

• Birdhunter
  • First Blood!
  • Gamer, Modder, Engineer... the usual stuff.
  • Thank you received: 35
Try to remember where you saw that flash.
If something got smoked, there should be a very distinctive smell from burned electronics.
Follow your nose, it should point you near the broken part.

Take it out of the case and inspect it closely for visible damage, burn marks, etc.
I'm usually able to pinpoint the location by "smelling it" within a couple of milimeters, especially if I can get close up and rotate the part.

If there's no smell, I would still take out the GPU and inspect it thoroughly first, as it's the most likely cause.

If you have spare parts at hand (or can borrow them), then you could swap out the GPU and see if it fixes the problem.
i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz | 2x8GB DDR3-2400 Avexir Blitz 1.1 | Z87 Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 | Asus ROG Poseidon GTX 1080 Ti | HyperX 3K SSDs | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass | Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1,2kW | Thermaltake Riing RGB | Long Sig! | XSPC RayStorm | Alphacool NexXxoS 420 XT45 | Alphacool Eisbecher & Laing DDC 3.25 & Alphacool Aurora RGB | Hardline PETG Tubing | EKWB CryoFuel AcidGreen | Green&Black Sleeved Cables | Acer Predator Z35 | Still reading? | Logitech G302 + G633 + G410 | etc.

Lost sharpness/contast/quality after bad reboot 4 weeks 2 days ago #16239

• ZonePhoenix
  • Lurker
i7Baby wrote:
"After that i saw a flash inside my case and a slight smell, but everything was still fine except for one thing"

Sheesh

Can you post your complete build. Sounds like something - maybe your graphics card (if you have one) - has smoked it.

At the time i had a 3770 with an asus p8z77-v motherboard, gtx 980 and 2 monitors which was a benq gl2460 and an acer xb240h

After this i built a new setup with a 6700k and amd rx-480 and tried the monitors again but the image quality was still bad, so at that point i think its the monitors? So i try that setup with a new ips monitor and its still bad, actually worse sharpness/contrast than my old setup with tn monitors

So i don't know really, i cant seem to get the image quality i used to out of the old monitors and old setup, the only thing i can think of is to buy brand new of one of the first 2 monitors and see what happens, but i would rather try to understand what actually happened firstly

The other thing i noticed which i also cant explain is when i had the benq connected over a displayport to dvi cable that cable could no longer deliver a proper image to the monitor after the flash occured, basically the colors went all wrong and there were green pixels all over the screen, switching back to dvi cable fixed it however

Also the only way i could take that comparison photo was to keep rebooting my graphics driver and about 1 in 100 times some of the icons on my taskbar would line up pixel perfect like the way it used to be but thats rare

I wonder if my old setup i for some reason had a really strong signal on output (gpu side) and input (monitor side) and haven't been able to duplicate that since?

Lost sharpness/contast/quality after bad reboot 4 weeks 2 days ago #16240

• i7Baby
Can you try using a dvi-I to dvi-I cable and just one monitor? Then swap monitors. Just to see if both monitors are working OK. Maybe you might need to try different cables too. I'm just hoping its a simple fix.
R7-1700 @3900/1.375V, H110iGT, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14 @3466/14 1.38V, Samsung 250gb EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud

Lost sharpness/contast/quality after bad reboot 4 weeks 1 day ago #16243

• S_Maurice
  • Lurker
  • Thank you received: 1
Really strange... if it's still happening with new hardware then try using new video cables and trying each input on the monitor.
If new cables fix it then of course you had bad cables, if every input on the monitors still show the issue then they probably got messed up. You could try to open the monitors' manufacturing menu and hard reset all configurations (if you can that is), or maybe navigate the OSD to see if there's anything relevant. Have you tried a new monitor yet? If a new monitor works fine then you can rule out your hardware as being at fault.G

Lost sharpness/contast/quality after bad reboot 4 weeks 1 day ago #16245

• ZonePhoenix
  • Lurker
S_Maurice wrote:
Really strange... if it's still happening with new hardware then try using new video cables and trying each input on the monitor.
If new cables fix it then of course you had bad cables, if every input on the monitors still show the issue then they probably got messed up. You could try to open the monitors' manufacturing menu and hard reset all configurations (if you can that is), or maybe navigate the OSD to see if there's anything relevant. Have you tried a new monitor yet? If a new monitor works fine then you can rule out your hardware as being at fault.G

I tried different cables, i don't think its the cables though really, even the cable that shows green pixels i don't think has a problem i think the problem is the signal strength between monitor > gpu or vice versa

I've tried different new monitors but they weren't much better the only thing i haven't tried is new versions of the original monitors

Other than that i'm not sure what to do, possibly i just lucked out with my original setup and most peoples monitors just generally have pretty poor contrast/sharpness?

Lost sharpness/contast/quality after bad reboot 4 weeks 21 hours ago #16246

• i7Baby
I'd think it was most likely your GPU, monitors or monitor cables. But you said you tried 2 different GPUs, different cables to different ports on the GPU and Monitor and different monitors. Got any weird software running? I'd also vote for trying monitor settings. If none of these help, then I've run out of ideas.
Other - using a dodgy UPS or power supply?

Lost sharpness/contast/quality after bad reboot 4 weeks 21 hours ago #16247

• ZonePhoenix
  • Lurker
i7Baby wrote:
I'd think it was most likely your GPU, monitors or monitor cables. But you said you tried 2 different GPUs, different cables to different ports on the GPU and Monitor and different monitors. Got any weird software running? I'd also vote for trying monitor settings. If none of these help, then I've run out of ideas.
Other - using a dodgy UPS or power supply?

New system im running is new everything so new evga psu

Yeah i doubt im ever gonna figure out how to get proper image quality while using a computer again, i pretty much stopped gaming because i cant aim properly when everything is blocky and blurred to the right and the colors look really grey because of the lack of contrast

The thing is my brothers system isnt any better, he has a $600 1440p dell monitor with a 6500k/gtx 960

And nothing comes even close to the image quality i got with an old 3770/gtx 980 rig with cheap tn monitors

Lost sharpness/contast/quality after bad reboot 1 week 6 days ago #16341

• TheLNK
  • Lurker
  • Howdy Neighbor
Have you checked out the Nvidia control panel, Windows Display, or AMD Catalyst in case some settings reset or are fail-safe mode (or something of the sort). It happened to my display after I had a hard crash with my 950. I reset the Nvidia control panel display settings to default I restarted my PC and it helped.
  • Page:
Moderators: 2ndPlayer, i7Baby
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds