Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Using the asus STRIX as an RGB controller

Using the asus STRIX as an RGB controller 3 weeks 2 days ago #16280

• DCikac
  • Lurker
Hi people.

I'm writing these here because off all the thing on PC stuff that I'm following i think only you and Actually Hardcore Overclocking (BuildZoid) can test something like these.

So these is the case. Got an Asus STRIX rx 580 and on the side it has 2x4 pin fan connectors with PWM so i can connect 2 front panel fans, but i would like to use the 5 PIN RGB connector from the strix as a RGB controller. Unplug the 5PIN put in a splitter 1to3 5PIN splitter and plug in the Strix RGB lights and 2 coller masterfan pro RGB fans.

In theory these has 2 work because the coller masterfan pro series is Aura compatible and they can be controlled just plugged anywhere for 12V and the RGB cable directly to the Asus motherboard and using the Aura so in conclusion similar stuff is used on the asus motherboard and the asus rx 580 ( I have a gigabyte motherboard so i could not test these the cooler master support tested it ).

We are still in theory and the MBO can use a 1to3 RGB splitter for 3 fans on the same RGB Light program than the rx 580 (same as the 1060,1070,1080 (ti) ) could handle the load of 3,84W per fan for both the power and rgb.

Would love to know if some tried it if some can try it so i can go in to it myself, or i can just buy some other cheaper 120mm blue (because I cant get RGB) or not invest to it at all.

Would be nice if we are paying for an overpriced asus STRIX ( i bought mine because of resons :lol: ) that we can use it as a RGB output, even only for the fans to mimic what we setup in aurora.

At the time I think only cooler masterfan pro are out of the box compatible ( and they have presets red and blue so not all goes to hell if fail ), and guys @gamernexus I know these is not your cup of tea, but after a month of reading and trying from asus support and cooler master, and other forums, channels and stuff i think only you and buildzoid have the balls to try something like these.

Please leave a comment ( if anything: Not gonna try these ) so i don't go mad of these, because in 1 month only 1 guy responded and cooler master, and again thank you for your time for reading these too long of a post :).

If you are interested in any more details will share all of it with you, thank you.
If it looks stupid, but it works, it's not stupid.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 2 days ago by DCikac.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Using the asus STRIX as an RGB spiller. 3 weeks 2 days ago #16281

• i7Baby
  • Thank you received: 96
See www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G-GAMING/
From what i gather you have control over RGB lighting on the 580 PCB, but nothing else unless you use an Asus motherboards with the software.
R7-1700 @3900/1.375V, H110iGT, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14 @3466/14 1.38V, Samsung 250gb EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud

Using the asus STRIX as an RGB spiller. 3 weeks 2 days ago #16283

• DCikac
  • Lurker
That page was my home before I bought the rx580 :) , and i have contacted the asus support, and they were useful as the sea to a thirsty guy, not nearly satisfied, even with the fact i know that the average support guy could not answer it.

Well yes the rx580 has a RGB controller built in, and that's a 5PIN RGB+W, so you can adjust the brightness of the color you choose. Asus Aura software is used to control the asus motherboard RGB and you use it like in my case with rx580 without the asus MBO because i have the 1150 GA-B85-DH3 so the aura SW i communicating directly with the rx580, so in theory it could serve as a RGB controler for 5 and 4 pin RGB fans ( 1wire where the arrow indicates is GND , 1 is Red, 1 is Green, 1 is Blue, 1 is brightness).

Just to know what wire is what on the card could rewire it to the fan to a splitter with 4 pins, and i think the Voltage should be the same, again in theory.

Worst case could be that the card doesn't have enough dedicated voltage from the supply to the RGB controller to power all of these lights ( i think 7 on the card and 2 from the fans) + 2x4pin PWM power for the fans. Would love to test that, but have 2 order everything, and my wife is not thrilled about that :(

Again sorry for the long post, been reading a lot, and I'm kinda into electronics and like these stuff :)

Using the asus STRIX as an RGB spiller. 3 weeks 2 days ago #16284

• Birdhunter
  • First Blood!
  • Gamer, Modder, Engineer... the usual stuff.
  • Thank you received: 35
The pin layout should be in the manual.

As you said, the pin basically provides power+ ground for each colour (the individual colours are wired in parallel).

I'm not sure if I understand correctly what you try to do:
Do you want to connect the blue LEDs of the "blue" fan to the RGB header, or the entire fan?

If the LEDs of the fan are hardwired to the fan internally, then I wouldn't recommend this, as it would require you to disconnect the LEDs from the rest of the fan.

If the LED-Cables are separate from the Motor-Connection (eith maybe the exception of GND), then yes, you could connect that line to a different source (like an RGB header or a simple voltage controller) and run the LEDs Independent from the Fanspeed.

The tricky part might be the resistance, as LEDs should not run without any additional resistance, directly connected to the +/ground of the source. RGB strips and Fans could have a different resistance build in, to account for the different voltages used by different sources (can't remember at what voltage the Aura header runs on).
i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz | 2x8GB DDR3-2400 Avexir Blitz 1.1 | Z87 Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 | Asus ROG Poseidon GTX 1080 Ti | HyperX 3K SSDs | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass | Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1,2kW | Thermaltake Riing RGB | Long Sig! | XSPC RayStorm | Alphacool NexXxoS 420 XT45 | Alphacool Eisbecher & Laing DDC 3.25 & Alphacool Aurora RGB | Hardline PETG Tubing | EKWB CryoFuel AcidGreen | Green&Black Sleeved Cables | Acer Predator Z35 | Still reading? | Logitech G302 + G633 + G410 | etc.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 2 days ago by Birdhunter. Reason: Typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: DCikac

Using the asus STRIX as an RGB spiller. 3 weeks 2 days ago #16285

• DCikac
  • Lurker
Here is an image of the connectors:
images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2017/.../asus580strix-8b.jpg

The 2 not used ones are 4 pin PWM that give 12V for fan rotation and basic Red or Blue LED ( in the case of : www.coolermaster.com/cooling/case-fan/masterfan-pro-120-af-rgb/ ). That fan has the option on a little switch to have basic RED, BLUE color independent from any RGB control, and the third option on the switch is RGB that is controlled via controller and software.

So my idea as you said for the second option to unpin the RGB cable, use an 1to3 splitter cable and connect back the rx580 RGB and 2 cooler master fans so I can control the RGB them over Asus Aura, over the rx580.

I read that people are not satisfied with asus GPU tweak II for the front fans (2x4pin power connectors) because first you have to add them, and then they spin at 50% or above, and you don't have much control.

So fan power works and its 4 pin with PWM, and i think in theory the RGB has to work to, but would like to verify it. These could even apply to all strix cards if it works, and after browsing corsair, termaltake, edimax, and other fans i got confirmation only on cooler master that are plug and play for aura.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 2 days ago by DCikac.

Using the asus STRIX as an RGB spiller. 3 weeks 2 days ago #16286

• Birdhunter
  • First Blood!
Ah, I see, the fan can switch between internal and external power for the LEDs and has a 4pin RGB connector. Puting the switch to "RGB" would allow you to control the fans from "whatever" and the colours from "something else".

As long as the RGB-Controller on the RX580 is beefy enough, you could hook up the fans LEDs to the GPU header. I don't know how powerful the RGB header on that 580 is, but if they used the same components like other Strix cards (like on the Strix GTX 1080ti ), then it would be enough.

All you need then is an RGB-Splitter cable that you splice into that plug from the 580. No clue what the pinout on that plug is, though.
i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz | 2x8GB DDR3-2400 Avexir Blitz 1.1 | Z87 Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 | Asus ROG Poseidon GTX 1080 Ti | HyperX 3K SSDs | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass | Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1,2kW | Thermaltake Riing RGB | Long Sig! | XSPC RayStorm | Alphacool NexXxoS 420 XT45 | Alphacool Eisbecher & Laing DDC 3.25 & Alphacool Aurora RGB | Hardline PETG Tubing | EKWB CryoFuel AcidGreen | Green&Black Sleeved Cables | Acer Predator Z35 | Still reading? | Logitech G302 + G633 + G410 | etc.

Using the asus STRIX as an RGB spiller. 3 weeks 2 days ago #16287

• DCikac
  • Lurker
Here: cablemod.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/IMG_1863.jpg

It's universal for the splitter cables and the fans, you just get the arrow on the connector to know where the GND line goes. In the 5 pin case you get 1 more white wire for brightness line in the rx 580 case. I'm atm having a support ticket open with cooler master, but they didn't try it and i think they wont :( .

The more i read about and what I understand about electronics the more I've like to do it :). The only concern is like you said maybe the rgb connector on the rx580 doesn't get enough current to fuel all the LED-s, and it's configured at a steady amount of voltage for the stock LED-s so it doesn't fry them, but the card is more than capable of producing 2x3,84W (total consumption of the fans not only the LED-s) over the connectors.

The RGB component doesn't use much power and thats why I think it can work, the main power source is on other connectors, but if I'm not mistaking the spectrum 255 is determent of the current range (from 0V to don't know how much) on a specific wire that will produce that color, so if the power drawn i going to 3 places all of the color will be a bit washed up :D and not so bright if the strix has a power limit.

Only problem if it doesn't have the power limit and the RGB controller is distributed only I.E. 3V and the fans demand 5V and he constantly demands 5V gets 3V, maybe it can fry... But LED-s are not that invasive, in the oposit if they get 3V instead of 5v i think they wont just shine bright.

That's why I need someone smarter than me to discuss or to try it out who has the equipment :)
Last Edit: 3 weeks 1 day ago by DCikac.

Using the asus STRIX as an RGB spiller. 2 weeks 2 days ago #16310

• DCikac
  • Lurker
Bump.

W8ing for Asus support to say what wire is what color, same with masterfan @ cooler master so i will know how to connect them, and probably will have to w8 a month for ebay RGB cable splitter :( , could not find a single one in Croatia...

And cooler master responded with the pin layout from the RGB connector for the masterfan pro RGB series:

12V, G, R, B

Just after the weekend update :)
Last Edit: 2 weeks 2 days ago by DCikac.

Using the asus STRIX as an RGB spiller. 2 weeks 2 days ago #16314

• Birdhunter
  • First Blood!
The individual LEDs/Diodes are pretty much the same across the board (well, at least as this mod is concerned).

A Multimeter would come in handy here.
You could meassure what voltage the card and what voltage the fan uses for it's Diodes. You could also set the software to all Red/Blue/Green and check which pins have what voltage.

Since the (case) fans are AURA-compatible, they should be able to handle 12Volt source (i.e. the Aura RGB header - and common 5050RGB bars and rolls, for that matter - run with 12V and have the proper resistors build in).

So, worst cade scenario would be, that the graphics card has the resistors on the PCB, not on the LEDs, which would mean that the fan-LEDs wouldn't get enough voltage for full brightness. Unless you accidentally short the wires, there's nothing that could go wrong, really.

Using the asus STRIX as an RGB spiller. 2 weeks 2 days ago #16320

• DCikac
  • Lurker
True.

That's what I read and what I have concluded, just a bit harder to put into words because English is my second language :). Worst case is if i plug in strix LED-s and 2 RGB fans that the colors are gona tone down in brightness because not enough currents is being supplied to them.

Just have to w8 for my splitter and pins :).

Ty!
Moderators: 2ndPlayer, i7Baby
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds