Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Can Displayport problems potentially nuke monitors

Can Displayport problems potentially nuke monitors 2 weeks 3 days ago #16307

• Starbuckorama
  • Lurker
I have a GTX 760 that I've had since it was new and has been working great so far as I know.

I recently experienced a monitor failure that I then attempted to have repaired and the shop just said it couldn't fix
it without giving me any details. What had happened was I typically turn off all of my equipment after shutting down my machine by turning off the power strip that everything is plugged into. I've been doing that for years and one day after getting home from work I flipped the switch to turn on all of the things. All but one thing turned on. I hadn't suspected a power surge could do it because the power strip draws power from an online ups but maybe that is it. the only thing I had thought could be it was that the display port sent power to the monitor and that cooked it but that's beginning to sound less likely as I'm typing this. truth is I really don't know and the repair shop was no help.

I've since replaced the monitor but i'm apprehensive about plugging it in without knowing what cooked the last one.

any help is appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Can Displayport problems potentially nuke monitors 2 weeks 2 days ago #16308

• Birdhunter
  • First Blood!
  • Gamer, Modder, Engineer... the usual stuff.
  • Thank you received: 35
From over here, there's no good way I could tell you, what the issue is or what caused the problem. (We need more information!)

But I can give you some tipps as to were to look for your investigation.

I think EEVBlog's Motto is the way to go here:
"Don't turn it on - take it apart!"

I have no idea what make/model you have, but many monitors can be disassembled by removing a couple of screws (and stickers) and maybe prying it open with a small spatula or used credit card.

Once you have a good view at the electronics, I would first look for a blown resistor, capacitor or loose cables or plugs.

If nothing is found there, you could unplug and test the power supply and the buttons if they work properly.

After that, it's a case of "find the straw in a haystack". Unless there's more information to go by (like X isn't working), it's a huge timesink.

As for your current setup:
If you are on a UPS, then there shouldn't be a power surge. Turning everything on at the same time shouldn't damage any of the things plugged in - at worst, the UPS- or other protection triggers, leaving everything dark - but still in working condition.

And the Data-Cables don't deliver enough voltage (and current) to fry anything.

My bet would be on simple wear and tear of the electronics - Monitors and TVs are notorious for blowing capacitors because a lot of them skimp on the cooling and have tons of dust falling through their vents that never gets cleaned up.

Oh, and I would suggest a smart power strip like this one, so you don't have to fiddle with the button every time you want to turn on your pc.
i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz | 2x8GB DDR3-2400 Avexir Blitz 1.1 | Z87 Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 | Asus ROG Poseidon GTX 1080 Ti | HyperX 3K SSDs | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass | Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1,2kW | Thermaltake Riing RGB | Long Sig! | XSPC RayStorm | Alphacool NexXxoS 420 XT45 | Alphacool Eisbecher & Laing DDC 3.25 & Alphacool Aurora RGB | Hardline PETG Tubing | EKWB CryoFuel AcidGreen | Green&Black Sleeved Cables | Acer Predator Z35 | Still reading? | Logitech G302 + G633 + G410 | etc.

Can Displayport problems potentially nuke monitors 2 weeks 2 days ago #16309

• i7Baby
  • Thank you received: 96
Yes - my vote goes to having an old and faulty monitor. But hardware details would help give me a better idea.

I'd try a new monitor power cable. Then try another monitor.
R7-1700 @3900/1.375V, H110iGT, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14 @3466/14 1.38V, Samsung 250gb EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud
Moderators: 2ndPlayer, i7Baby
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds