Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Deciding on a PC case

Deciding on a PC case 2 weeks 1 day ago #16324

• Jia
  • Lurker
Hi!

I've been looking int PC cases and I've set my eyes on the Corsair 270r due to really good thermals the case has according to the GNs review of that case.

That being said, here's my issue/question;

Can this (or any other) pc case really help me with my GPU runing hot/loud all the time
I currently have Sapphire r9 290 (refference design) and the card goes up to 94°C with the default fan curve, which is in my head atleast waaay too hot. So right now, I set my own fan curve (on the gpu) to keep the card at 80°C MAX and i've undervolted/underclocked it as far as i could.

So now that you guys know what i'm dealing with here, I'd like to know if the PC case will help with the card being too loud by reducing the temps a bit. Currently i keep my PC in an ancient (12-13 y/o) case thats completely open and I'm really hoping i can solve this somehow.

Right, so, how much will this (if at all) help my situation, I dont mind sticking a few additional fans in the case if necessary, I'm just wondering if this will work at all, so i'm looking to get better cooling and a bit quieter card out of all this.

Also I'm open for other case suggestions aswell as which additional fans to get, attaching a picture of my current case (pls don't laugh). Oh yeah, any ideas how to get my new case to glow all red? just fans with red LEDs or anything else?

Last Edit: 2 weeks 1 day ago by Jia. Reason: Fixed image links
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Deciding on a PC case 1 week 6 days ago #16337

• i7Baby
  • Thank you received: 96
"Can this (or any other) pc case really help me with my GPU runing hot/loud all the time
I currently have Sapphire r9 290 (refference design) and the card goes up to 94°C with the default fan curve, which is in my head atleast waaay too hot."

No - reference design r9 290s were loud AND hot. A different case won't help much. Maybe invest in an aftermarket cooler eg www.tomshardware.com/reviews/r9-290-acce...xtreme-290,3671.html or save to get a better graphics card eg gtx970.

Fans - 1 for the front and 1 for the back is usually all you need. Preferably 140mm.
R7-1700 @3900/1.375V, H110iGT, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14 @3466/14 1.38V, Samsung 250gb EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud
Last Edit: 1 week 6 days ago by i7Baby.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jia

Deciding on a PC case 1 week 5 days ago #16348

• Birdhunter
  • First Blood!
  • Gamer, Modder, Engineer... the usual stuff.
  • Thank you received: 35
Reference-Design cards tend to be hot+loud, especially the 290 series. I'm afraid you were simply unlucky there :-(

Adding the side panels back on would help to reduce the noise and adding a front intake and rear exhaust fan would prevent the system from overheating (as there are no casefans installed atm if I see that correctly). But it wouldn't help much with thermals, just reduce the noise a bit.
i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz | 2x8GB DDR3-2400 Avexir Blitz 1.1 | Z87 Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 | Asus ROG Poseidon GTX 1080 Ti | HyperX 3K SSDs | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass | Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1,2kW | Thermaltake Riing RGB | Long Sig! | XSPC RayStorm | Alphacool NexXxoS 420 XT45 | Alphacool Eisbecher & Laing DDC 3.25 & Alphacool Aurora RGB | Hardline PETG Tubing | EKWB CryoFuel AcidGreen | Green&Black Sleeved Cables | Acer Predator Z35 | Still reading? | Logitech G302 + G633 + G410 | etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jia
Moderators: 2ndPlayer, i7Baby
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds