• iamjsed
  • Lurker
Hi All,

Here's my configuration

CPU: Core i5 6500
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-H170N WiFi
GPU: Asus GTX 1070
MONITOR: 1080p 144Hz

I noticed that with some game, 6500 bottlenecks the 1070. I am now contemplating for a CPU upgrade.

My options are:

Get a i7 7700 and be done with it
Switch to Ryzen 1600x
Wait for Q1 2018 for Coffee lake

Thanks for your opinion
The administrator has disabled public write access.

help with cpu upgrade 1 week 3 days ago #16366

• i7Baby
  • Thank you received: 96
See www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-hierarchy,4312.html
The i5 6500 is a top tier CPU. It shouldn't be bottlenecking your GPU. What makes you think it is?
R7-1700 @3900/1.375V, H110iGT, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14 @3466/14 1.38V, Samsung 250gb EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud

help with cpu upgrade 1 week 2 days ago #16367

• Birdhunter
  • First Blood!
  • Gamer, Modder, Engineer... the usual stuff.
  • Thank you received: 35
What games / software are you using?
Any background process thar might hog some performance?
What the temperatures/clocks? (is it mostly running 3.6 GHz?)

On certain software/games, it could be bottlenecking - but I would check everything else before spending money, as there might be an easier/cheaper fix.
i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz | 2x8GB DDR3-2400 Avexir Blitz 1.1 | Z87 Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 | Asus ROG Poseidon GTX 1080 Ti | HyperX 3K SSDs | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass | Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1,2kW | Thermaltake Riing RGB | Long Sig! | XSPC RayStorm | Alphacool NexXxoS 420 XT45 | Alphacool Eisbecher & Laing DDC 3.25 & Alphacool Aurora RGB | Hardline PETG Tubing | EKWB CryoFuel AcidGreen | Green&Black Sleeved Cables | Acer Predator Z35 | Still reading? | Logitech G302 + G633 + G410 | etc.

help with cpu upgrade 1 week 2 days ago #16369

• S_Maurice
  • Lurker
  • Thank you received: 1
I do notice he has a 144hz monitor, and there's times where the i5 can't keep up with some intense high refresh rate games due to the nature of CPU bottlenecking. I'd recommend waiting until Q1 to buy a new CPU at this point in the year, you already have an H170 board so even if you don't upgrade to Coffee lake at that point you're more likely to run into after holiday's sales.

Kudos!

help with cpu upgrade 3 days 10 hours ago #16410

• Kodon
  • Lurker
Maybe overclocking can solve your problem?

I'ts possible to overclock "older" non-K versions afaik.

Your CPU is still kinda newish, there hasn't been that much progress on Intels side.

If OC is no option I'd wait for the coffee to be spilled.

help with cpu upgrade 2 days 21 hours ago #16411

• Birdhunter
  • First Blood!
  • Gamer, Modder, Engineer... the usual stuff.
  • Thank you received: 35
Intel has released microcode updates that prevent OC on non-K chips. There might be an older bios out there that allows it, but it's not something I'd recommend - even if you're lucky and find one.

I found that a lot of games aren't capable of running 100+ fps, no matter what you throw at them (like Watch Dogs 2 or the latest Assassins Creed) - whereas those games that can, generally don't need that much performance (like CS:GO, Warframe, etc.).

An upgrade might give you +20-30fps more in bottleneck-scenarios, but I would simply lower (or raise) the settings or clean up the system (less background tasks) before investing 300-400$ if there is only little to be gained from it.

If it's worth it or not really depends on the software/games, that's why I asked that first.
i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz | 2x8GB DDR3-2400 Avexir Blitz 1.1 | Z87 Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 | Asus ROG Poseidon GTX 1080 Ti | HyperX 3K SSDs | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass | Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1,2kW | Thermaltake Riing RGB | Long Sig! | XSPC RayStorm | Alphacool NexXxoS 420 XT45 | Alphacool Eisbecher & Laing DDC 3.25 & Alphacool Aurora RGB | Hardline PETG Tubing | EKWB CryoFuel AcidGreen | Green&Black Sleeved Cables | Acer Predator Z35 | Still reading? | Logitech G302 + G633 + G410 | etc.
Moderators: 2ndPlayer, i7Baby
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds