Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: EVGA 980ti hybrid clc upgrade

EVGA 980ti hybrid clc upgrade 1 week 2 days ago #16371

• Ketobbeu
  • Lurker
Hi all, my first post on the forum. I have been watching Gamers Nexus for years and in fact that is why I bought this GPU in the first place.
OK so what I need a little help with- I want to know if it's worth replacing the current "stock" evga clc that came with the hybrid GPU with a more current clc? And will I get any benefits in the way of cooling? I ask as I know these coolers only have s limited life and what my future options are.
Thanks forum in advance.
Last Edit: 1 week 2 days ago by Ketobbeu.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

EVGA 980ti hybrid clc upgrade 1 week 1 day ago #16373

• i7Baby
  • Thank you received: 96
This one - www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/1983-evga-...benchmarks?showall=1 ?

Conclusion: "The 980 Ti Hybrid does have an added cost, but it generally performs better than or equal to the Titan X at its stock clocks. The value-add from liquid cooling is significant and should be acknowledged by anyone seeking to overclock the card or reduce overall system thermals. "

I think you'll be happy with it.
R7-1700 @3900/1.375V, H110iGT, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14 @3466/14 1.38V, Samsung 250gb EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud

EVGA 980ti hybrid clc upgrade 1 week 1 day ago #16374

• Birdhunter
  • First Blood!
  • Gamer, Modder, Engineer... the usual stuff.
  • Thank you received: 35
i7Baby wrote:
This one - www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/1983-evga-...benchmarks?showall=1 ?

Conclusion: "The 980 Ti Hybrid does have an added cost, but it generally performs better than or equal to the Titan X at its stock clocks. The value-add from liquid cooling is significant and should be acknowledged by anyone seeking to overclock the card or reduce overall system thermals. "

I think you'll be happy with it.

Lol, think you didn't read his post ;-)

He already has a GTX 980 under water and wants to know if there's any benefit from replacing the older clc with a new one.

Short answer: No.
Long answer: Noooooo.

The clc on it already allows it to run on "peak performance" and high overclocks. Unless you plan on voltage mods and liquid nitrogen, there's not more performance that you could squeeze out of the card, so upgrading wouldn't improve it's performance.

Apart from performance, there are other things, were a new clc might have some Improvements (slightly lower noise, slightly improoved durability, etc.) - unless your current clc is really loud or fails due to wear and tear, there's too little to be gained for the cost imho.

Cooling will also not be improved (and even if, it's minimal - maybe a degree or two), since the radiator size is the more limiting factor here, not the pump or copper block.

I would stick with the stock clc until it dies, at which point the 980ti might have become too weak of a crad anyways.

The only meaningfull upgrade would be to switch to a 240-radiator, but a 120 should be plenty to handle the gpu (if given enough airflow in the case), so it's a questionable upgrade, at best.
i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz | 2x8GB DDR3-2400 Avexir Blitz 1.1 | Z87 Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 | Asus ROG Poseidon GTX 1080 Ti | HyperX 3K SSDs | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass | Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1,2kW | Thermaltake Riing RGB | Long Sig! | XSPC RayStorm | Alphacool NexXxoS 420 XT45 | Alphacool Eisbecher & Laing DDC 3.25 & Alphacool Aurora RGB | Hardline PETG Tubing | EKWB CryoFuel AcidGreen | Green&Black Sleeved Cables | Acer Predator Z35 | Still reading? | Logitech G302 + G633 + G410 | etc.

EVGA 980ti hybrid clc upgrade 1 week 1 day ago #16376

• i7Baby
  • Thank you received: 96
Maybe the OP can clarify. I don't see any reference to a 980 non ti.
"I want to know if it's worth replacing the current "stock" evga clc that came with the hybrid GPU with a more current clc?"
from the GN article, I'd say stick with the cooler it's got.
R7-1700 @3900/1.375V, H110iGT, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14 @3466/14 1.38V, Samsung 250gb EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud

EVGA 980ti hybrid clc upgrade 1 week 1 day ago #16377

• Ketobbeu
  • Lurker
If anyone did a quick Google Search they would see the EVGA 980ti Hybrid is a fully manufacturer product sold by EVGA. They also sell a CLC for the EVGA 980ti.
What I want to know is: is it possibly an advantage to getting a more current CLC "and 240 radiator" as I am starting to notice, my existing CLC that came pre-installed on the card as part of the Hybrid that is the 980ti Hybrid that EVGA sell, is maybe starting to loss some of its efficiency and could therefore be losing coolant via the normal means.
I hope that clears up any misconception or unclear explanation on my behalf.

EVGA 980ti hybrid clc upgrade 1 week 20 hours ago #16378

• Birdhunter
  • First Blood!
  • Gamer, Modder, Engineer... the usual stuff.
  • Thank you received: 35
The clue is in the name:
GTX 980ti -->HYBRID<-- ;-)

Anyways:
The card is manufactured by EVGA, but the CLC/AiO is not. It's a variant from Asetek, found on other cards from evga too:

www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2539-taking-a...hybrid-liquid-cooler

The problem is, that it uses a special coldplate and mounting, so a normal CPU-AiO would not fit. You'd have to get special mountings or replace the radiator in the existing loop - in the end, it won't be a simply replacement, more like a DIY build. At that point, if the issue is only thar the liquid levels dropped, disconnecting one of the tubes and refilling the loop would be just as much work but would be much cheaper then a completely new clc.

As I said, the 120 radiator on it is sufficient as long as everything else works and is setup properly, so I don't see a good reason why to switch to a 240.
i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz | 2x8GB DDR3-2400 Avexir Blitz 1.1 | Z87 Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 | Asus ROG Poseidon GTX 1080 Ti | HyperX 3K SSDs | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass | Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1,2kW | Thermaltake Riing RGB | Long Sig! | XSPC RayStorm | Alphacool NexXxoS 420 XT45 | Alphacool Eisbecher & Laing DDC 3.25 & Alphacool Aurora RGB | Hardline PETG Tubing | EKWB CryoFuel AcidGreen | Green&Black Sleeved Cables | Acer Predator Z35 | Still reading? | Logitech G302 + G633 + G410 | etc.
Moderators: 2ndPlayer, i7Baby
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds