Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Computer Won't Turn on

Computer Won't Turn on 2 months 1 day ago #17295

• sitopapen
  • Lurker
Hey all

So I recently graduated college and brought my computer back home with me. I went to school in Chicago but I live in Seattle so the drive took me several days, and I moved my computer to and from my car every night so it wouldn't get stolen.

When I finally made it home I plugged it in, only to realize that it will no longer turn on. However, I know that there is still power running to the computer because the LED's on the motherboard light up when I have it plugged in. It's as if the power button doesn't work.

I took the side off and began searching for unplugged cables and unplugging and re-plugging cords into the motherboard, with no luck. I did test the PSU using a paper clip with the method found here (www.evga.com/support/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=59582) and the fans turn on, which means that the PSU still works, at least a little bit.

I tried bypassing the power button by touching a screwdriver (and also a paper clip) to the two wires on the motherboard that connect to the power button, but nothing happened.

Any idea why that would be, and also what is broken? I'm assuming either the motherboard or the power supply but I don't know for sure. This is my first build, so any help would be appreciated!

Here is the link to my specs:
pcpartpicker.com/user/Sitop_Apen/saved/#view=2NGVnQ

Thank you!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Computer Won't Turn on 2 months 8 hours ago #17303

• Birdhunter
  • Dominating!
  • Gamer, Modder, Engineer... the usual stuff.
  • Thank you received: 75
Hmm, an unplugged connector would've been my first guess,
but if you bridged the right pins (bottom right of the board, the two pins on the top right of that connector, see manual page 29), then it's not the case/button.

If you can jump-start the PSU, with fans spinning and all and without it shutting off immediately, then the PSU should be fine and pinched cables aren't the problem either.

I would start by taking out the GPU and see, if it posts. The lack of an onboard graphics means, you can't use it, but it should at least try to turn on.

If that isn't it, I would check the CPU. It's possible that that haevy heatsink might have moved too much. Take off the cooler, take out the CPU and check for any visible damage (cracks, bent pins, etc). If nothing is found, put it back together and try again. Sometimes, that re-seating of the CPU can help.
(Don't forget to put some new thermal paste on).

If that wasn't it either, with no suspects then the MB left, you'd have to unplug everything and start to check everything.
i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz | 2x8GB DDR3-2400 Avexir Blitz 1.1 | Z87 Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 | Asus ROG Poseidon GTX 1080 Ti | HyperX 3K SSDs | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass | Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1,2kW | Thermaltake Riing RGB | Long Sig! | XSPC RayStorm | Alphacool NexXxoS 420 XT45 | Alphacool Eisbecher & Laing DDC 3.25 & Alphacool Aurora RGB | Hardline PETG Tubing | EKWB CryoFuel AcidGreen | Green&Black Sleeved Cables | Acer Predator Z35 | Still reading? | Logitech G302 + G633 + G410 | etc.

Computer Won't Turn on 1 month 4 weeks ago #17306

• i7Baby
  • Thank you received: 140
If it doesn't even POST then my guess is that the motherboard is faulty.

Try Tom's checklist - www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-per...-boot-video-problems
R7-1700 @3900/1.375V, H110iGT, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14 @3466/14 1.38V, 250gb 960 EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 1TB 850 EVO (video scratch), 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud

Computer Won't Turn on 1 month 3 weeks ago #17322

• sitopapen
  • Lurker
Do you know of any way to test the motherboard at home? I think it's at fault but I want to be sure before I buy and install another one

Computer Won't Turn on 1 month 3 weeks ago #17323

• ExaltedPawn
  • Lurker
  • Thank you received: 4
You'll need a multimeter, that's the easiest way.

Computer Won't Turn on 1 month 3 weeks ago #17324

• i7Baby
  • Thank you received: 140
If the motherboard is still under warranty, then I'd recommend doing a RMA on it.
R7-1700 @3900/1.375V, H110iGT, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14 @3466/14 1.38V, 250gb 960 EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 1TB 850 EVO (video scratch), 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud
Moderators: 2ndPlayer, i7Baby
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds