Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Constant BSOD VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (atikmpag.sys)

Constant BSOD VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (atikmpag.sys) 1 week 5 days ago #17446

• krazykyguy
  • Lurker
To all the awesome tech gurus of the interwebs,

Thank you for taking time to read and respond to this post. I'm going to try and be as thorough as I can so it may be a little lengthy. I recently re-entered the PC building scene after several years away (my last build was around 2010). Things have certainly changed a lot since then, namely outrageous RAM and GPU prices, and I admit now was probably not the best time to do a fresh build. However, my wife and I wanted new hardware to do some light gaming on. After reviewing many tech articles and reviews, I chose to build a system utilizing the new Ryzen 5 2400g processor with integrated Vega graphics. I do plan on buying a dedicated GPU when prices cool a bit and I can afford something like a GTX1060 or better. Here are the specifics of my build...

AMD Ryzen 5 2400g processor

Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming 3 motherboard

16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz DDR4 RAM (2x 8GB modules)

250gb SanDisk Plus SSD

TP Link TL-WN881ND wireless wifi card

1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue HDD

Cooler Master MasterWatt 550W power supply

NZXT S340 Mid Tower Case

All parts were ordered new through Amazon and the build went together very smoothly. I did have to get a boot kit from AMD to flash the motherboard's BIOS, but that really went pretty well. AMD was great and had the kit sent to me in no time. After the flash I installed Windows 10 Pro (build 1709 initially, then 1803 thanks to WIndows Update). Using a USB thumb drive and my laptop, I installed all drivers via Gigabyte's website for both the chipset and audio drivers. Windows updated the display driver from Basic Windows Display adapter to the AMD drivers for the Ryzen 2400g. For the first few days everything seemed great. PC was running quick and smooth, no headaches or problems. However, after those few days I started getting issues with my RAM. I would get random MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSOD errors in Windows, and the system would constantly reboot. After running Windows Memory Diagnostic and MemTest86 I discovered that one of the modules was indeed faulty. I requested a replacement through Amazon and sent the first kit back. Once the second kit arrived, I installed it and thought that I would be ready to really see what this new APU could do. Boy, I was wrong. After about ten minutes of running, I started to get the BSOD VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (atikmpag.sys). I rebooted the machine, thinking it was an isolated error. However, upon reboot, any time I tried to load a webpage or play a game the PC would lock up and throw the same BSOD again. Frustrated, I searched the web on my phone and saw where others had similar issues. I then proceeded to try the following steps...

1. Uninstall all AMD drivers with both the AMD Uninstall Utility, as well as DDU Uninstaller in Safe Mode. This rolled me back to Windows Basic Display adapter drivers, which stabilized the system. However, any time I tried to play any games, the graphics would be extremely choppy and made the game nearly unplayable (like I was trying to play on a 10 yr old Dell unplayable). I also lost all sound through my HDMI monitor speakers, and the "sleep" function in the power off menu went away.

2. Seeing as I am only using the stock CPU cooler, I have not overclocked anything but the memory using XMP in BIOS. I could get the full 3000mhz and still boot the system fine.

3. Did a FRESH install of Windows 10 Pro build 1709, disabling any Windows Updates.

4. Contacted AMD Tech Support for help. Around the time I did so, they released brand new drivers for the Raven Ridge line of APU's (Ryzen 3 2200g and Ryzen 5 2400g). Following their directions I installed the newest driver, with no change. I was still getting the same BSOD as always.

5. Tested RAM through MemTest86 for errors for 17hrs. No faults detected. Swapped my RAM around from DIMM slots 1&3 to slots 2&4. Still, no change - same BSOD as always

Finally, one evening, out of frustration, I removed the second RAM module, running just one 8gb stick in DIMM slot 1. I rebooted the PC and loaded into Windows. After a half hour, no BSOD's, no errors. I left the PC on overnight to see if it would eventually reboot. It did not. I can use the PC just fine running only one module of RAM - it seems completely stable. However, I can shut the PC down, install the second RAM module, and start the machine and within five or ten minutes I will get the VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (atikmpag.sys) BSOD. For the life of me I cannot figure out why it happens with both RAM modules installed. I tried replacing the atikmpag.sys file with one on another PC that has a Ryzen 2400g installed. That didn't help either. I really have tried everything that I can think of. I've rolled back drivers, installed the chipset drivers first, then the GPU drivers, still with no avail. I know the issue is with the GPU driver. I just don't understand why it only happens with 16gb RAM installed. You would think it would also do so with just one module in place as well. Please, anybody, somebody - if you have any ideas or suggestions on how to resolve this problem I'm all for it. I have files saved on my OneDrive of dump files, memory tests, SPEECY screenshots, etc. if you'd like to see them. Thank you to everyone that can help!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Constant BSOD VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (atikmpag.sys) 6 days 9 hours ago #17459

• i7Baby
  • Thank you received: 137
Is your ram listed on the motherboard memory QVL?
R7-1700 @3900/1.375V, H110iGT, ASRock x370 Taichi, GSkill 2x8GB 3200/14 @3466/14 1.38V, 250gb 960 EVO (W10), 2TB Barracuda, 1TB 850 EVO (video scratch), 2 x R9 Nano, EVGA G2 750, Enthoo Pro, LG 34UM88. Aizo kb, M6580, HyperX Cloud
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: 2ndPlayer, i7Baby
Time to create page: 1.384 seconds