Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Should I wait to build a new gaming PC

Should I wait to build a new gaming PC 1 week 3 days ago #17449

• hiconic
  • Lurker
With the Spectre and Meltdown issue is it a good idea to hold off building a new PC and maybe wait for a new CPU to be released or do you think the wait will be over 12 months away at least? Would it also be wiser if going ahead now to install AMD to at least avoid Meltdown.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Should I wait to build a new gaming PC 1 week 3 days ago #17451

• Birdhunter
  • Dominating!
  • Gamer, Modder, Engineer... the usual stuff.
  • Thank you received: 73
We didn't notice any dramatic changes in performance consistency or frame time variance, so any minor impact would likely be limited to storage-imposed symptoms, at least with the patches as they sit currently.
www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-perf...ntel-amd,5457-8.html

I think this sums it up the best atm:
Impact on gaming performance is minimal (if, at all) and the common user doesn't run anything that would really be impacted by the lower i/o performance.

As for waiting:
If you need a better CPU, then upgrade when you need it - don't wait for the 'next' thing, as there will always be a 'next' thing that would prevent you from buying anything.

AMD just released ZEN+, with ZEN2 coming in 2019 (more likely later then sooner), so you would be waiting for at least half a year before anything would be available.

As for Intel: With them beeing hit harder as far as meltdown/spectre goes and their problems with 7/10nm nodes, I don't see them comin out with a "new" chip anytime soon. An "improved" 14nm chip, maybe, but not anything that you're looking for.
i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz | 2x8GB DDR3-2400 Avexir Blitz 1.1 | Z87 Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 | Asus ROG Poseidon GTX 1080 Ti | HyperX 3K SSDs | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass | Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1,2kW | Thermaltake Riing RGB | Long Sig! | XSPC RayStorm | Alphacool NexXxoS 420 XT45 | Alphacool Eisbecher & Laing DDC 3.25 & Alphacool Aurora RGB | Hardline PETG Tubing | EKWB CryoFuel AcidGreen | Green&Black Sleeved Cables | Acer Predator Z35 | Still reading? | Logitech G302 + G633 + G410 | etc.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hiconic
Moderators: 2ndPlayer, i7Baby
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds