Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Sacrificial Anodes?

Sacrificial Anodes? 2 weeks 2 days ago #16318

• DXMage
  • Lurker
I have to ask why no one talks about sacrificial anodes? Why aren't there magnesium rods added to the reservoir in water cooling loops to prevent galvanic corrosion?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Sacrificial Anodes? 2 weeks 2 days ago #16319

• Birdhunter
  • First Blood!
  • Gamer, Modder, Engineer... the usual stuff.
  • Thank you received: 35
Because it wouldn't help. The problem with corrosion is not structural failure (like with cars or buildings), but the additional isolating layer that gets created and prevents efficient heat transfer.

A sacrificial Anode is used to ensure that the piece that brakes because of corrosion is not the important one. It doesn't prevent corrosion itself, which is the problem.

Corroding copper also accerlerates bacterial growth, so I wouldn't "encurage" it by adding another metal on purpose.
i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz | 2x8GB DDR3-2400 Avexir Blitz 1.1 | Z87 Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 | Asus ROG Poseidon GTX 1080 Ti | HyperX 3K SSDs | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass | Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1,2kW | Thermaltake Riing RGB | Long Sig! | XSPC RayStorm | Alphacool NexXxoS 420 XT45 | Alphacool Eisbecher & Laing DDC 3.25 & Alphacool Aurora RGB | Hardline PETG Tubing | EKWB CryoFuel AcidGreen | Green&Black Sleeved Cables | Acer Predator Z35 | Still reading? | Logitech G302 + G633 + G410 | etc.

Sacrificial Anodes? 2 weeks 2 days ago #16321

• DXMage
  • Lurker
Isn't there an antimicrobial agent that prevents bacteria? Also the sacrificial anode would prevent the corrosion in the head as well as the radiator and the introduction of silver into the system is one of the most effective anti microbial agents that isn't corrosive. Just thinking long term. Might have to pull the silver coin or whatever is used and polish it off now and then. Just trying to think of a solution to both issues.
Last Edit: 2 weeks 2 days ago by DXMage.

Sacrificial Anodes? 2 weeks 1 day ago #16325

• Birdhunter
  • First Blood!
  • Gamer, Modder, Engineer... the usual stuff.
  • Thank you received: 35
An "Anode" is per Definition part of a galvanic process (i.e. galvanic corrosion). The Problem is, that the solved ions usually don't stay floating in the elecrolyte, but rather "attach" themselfs to the kathode (i.e. the inside of the cooling block).

The problem with anitmacrobial agents is the same as with corrosion-preventing additives: They brake down over time (as a cooling loop is not a perfectly sealed containment) and have to replaced.

Silver coils are/were often used to reduce bacterial growth in loops, but the amount of surface area needed to prevent any growth is too expensive (and impractical).

I don't say that it's impossible to come up with some kind of a corrosion and bacteria preventing aparatus - but it's going to be expensive and adds a lot of bulk to an already stuffed system. It's not impossible - but impractical and economically unreasonable, especially if we are talking about a solution for mass production.

Compare that to ready-to-use liquids or concentrates that already contain anti-microbial and corrosion-inhibiting additives,
and flushing/cleaning the pc every one or two years (Which you'll have to do anyways because of the dust build up) to get rid of any build up or charge in the liquid.

(A lot of builders with silver coils are flushing their systems typically every 6 months).

Edit:
introduction of silver into the system is one of the most effective anti microbial agents that isn't corrosive

The silver would actually corrode the copper. (Very, Very slowly, though).
i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz | 2x8GB DDR3-2400 Avexir Blitz 1.1 | Z87 Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 | Asus ROG Poseidon GTX 1080 Ti | HyperX 3K SSDs | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass | Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1,2kW | Thermaltake Riing RGB | Long Sig! | XSPC RayStorm | Alphacool NexXxoS 420 XT45 | Alphacool Eisbecher & Laing DDC 3.25 & Alphacool Aurora RGB | Hardline PETG Tubing | EKWB CryoFuel AcidGreen | Green&Black Sleeved Cables | Acer Predator Z35 | Still reading? | Logitech G302 + G633 + G410 | etc.
Last Edit: 2 weeks 1 day ago by Birdhunter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DXMage

Sacrificial Anodes? 2 weeks 1 day ago #16326

• DXMage
  • Lurker
OK but given the segment practicality isn't typically A number one on the list =)
Moderators: 2ndPlayer, i7Baby
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds