The Thor V2 we reviewed left us fairly impressed, but left a feeling of wanting more. We went scouting. Diving into the Rosewill booth at PAX East 2012 proved a fruitful endeavor: we spotted the Rosewill R5 case – a mid-low range hybrid case packed with features, including a PSU filter, compatibility to accommodate a top-mounted 240mm radiator (a la the H100), a removable top-panel for easy access to fans and any radiators, pre-installed front (120mm intake) and rear (120mm exhaust) fans, expandability for an additional 120mm side panel fan, a 120/140mm bottom-mounted fan, two top-side fan mounts, and 2x120mm internal fans that mount parallel to the front fan(s) (we’re double-checking on the front fan specs), providing an extra blast of air to core components.
Here’s the list, for that ever-desired glance-ability (keep in mind that we were looking at a prototype):
- Four grommeted cable management pass-throughs.
- Removable top-mesh for quick access to the top .
- Internal USB3.0 header (note: the prototype we viewed did not have this, though we were told it would be included) for direct connectivity to motherboards, rather than routing through the case.
- Front USB3.0 ports.
- Removable PSU dust filter. (UPDATE: Contains front fan filter as well)
- PSU fan mesh.
- Tool-less drive bay management.
- Tool-less optical drive mounts.
- A fan speed controller with support for up to three fans.
- At least 1x120mm front fan (pre-installed), though it may be able to accommodate 2x120mm fans – we’ll edit this post once we’ve verified. (UPDATE: Contains 2x120mm front slots)
- 1x120mm rear fan (pre-installed).
- 1x120/140mm bottom-mounting fan.
- 2x120mm internal bay-mount fans.
- 1x120mm side fan.
- 2x120mm top fans (with compatibility for a 240mm radiator)
For a $69.99 case, that’s a ton of features. The case Is due for an April launch, so we’ll definitely have more on this as it rolls out. Unfavorable angles and a massive crowd made for a tough time grabbing photos of the case, but here are a few we snapped:
Stay tuned for more updates as this develops.
-Steve “Lelldorianx” Burke.